Saturday, June 22, 2019

Stories of Pride: Love Calls Back

I’ve told the story before, but it bears repeating because I was one of the lucky ones, and I know it, and I remember it, every single time a person comes out.

When I said those words to my mother and father … I’m gay … I didn’t know how they’d be received. As far as I knew then, and I know differently now, there were no gay men or women in my family before me, so I didn’t know what my mom and dad would say.

Well, I knew what my mom would say, because moms always know, but it was my dad that was the unknown. And when I said those words, he said to me:
I love you very much.
Now, it took him a hot minute to get used to the idea, and we had discussions about LGBTQ rights ever since, but he chose the very best words possible for that moment and I will never forget them.

At this month’s Tony Awards, a new video from PFLAG and Verizon—entitled Love Calls Back—aired that tells the story of four LGBTQ people who came out to their family and were rejected. Only now the  straight [cisgender] family members realize that they handled the situation wrong, and it’s their turn to call their loved ones to tell them they love them:





I love that last message:
“It’s never too late to call back for love.”
LGBTQ Nation

9 comments:

  1. xoxoxox to Bob's Mom and Dad. :-)
    And to all Moms and Dads who love
    their children. No matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story Bob, thankfully you had understanding parents. I wonder if the video is actual people or actors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sooo
    I was, am, lucky that way.

    Those are real folks in the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was beautiful. My heart aches for those who haven't been accepted by their family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So gratified to read your story. And that video... Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply wonderful. All anyone wants is unconditional love and acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you had good parents, bob. some of us are not so lucky.
    I like you just the way you are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed what a lovely post! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......