Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Stories of Pride: One More Reason To Be Out and Proud

Sal Stow and Meghan Stabler are a same-sex couple living in Texas. Yes. Texas. And this month, during Pride month, as they do, they hung a Pride flag outside their home. Again; Texas. And what happened next, well, here’s how Sal posted it:
“I just went out to collect 2 packages from the doorstep (at my partner Meghan’s house, that I call home) only to find this note under a rock on the mat. This is why visibility is SO important. You never know who needs the support and to know it’s ok. I hope this person is ok, their family is being supportive and they find a community to connect with that can help them through this brave process. Williamson County is extremely conservative and in fact the County Commissioners voted 4-0 to not allow the pride flag to be flown on the Round Rock county court buildings. I am proud of who I am and the person I love. I will continue to be visible in whatever way I can”
And this is the note:
“Hello, you don’t know me but my name is [redacted]. We’re moving away today but I wanted to thank you. Seeing a pride flag waving so proudly outside your home every day has given me the courage to come out to my family and be more comfortable with who I am.”
You know, I often say that closeted celebrities need to come out because, in doing so, they may inspire other people, the non-famous sort, the everyday gays, to come out as well.

But it’s not just the famous; it’s all of us that need to be out and open and visible because if we can help just one other person not feel different or alone or shames, then that’s the real meaning of Pride.

9 comments:

  1. Keep pounding the message in because Conservatives have heads thicker than rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE ALL MY OUT AND PROUD FRIENDS JUST THE WAY THEY ARE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sal Stow and Meghan Stabler - bless you for your
    flags and for your pride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you don’t need to be famous to make a difference. And sometimes we “regular people” can make the biggest difference of all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an encouraging post. Progress inch by inch.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Pretty and I fly our Pride flag 365 days a year. We live in South Carolina, as you know, Bob, and I couldn't agree more that we need to be clearly visible in the communities where we make our homes.
    Bravo to the Texas couple in Round Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not crying. I have something in my eye.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......