Friday, October 30, 2015

I Didn't Say It ...

Roger Moore, former James Bond actor, on being against the idea of a gay Bond or a black Bond or a female Bond:

“I have heard people talk about how there should be a lady Bond or a gay Bond. But they wouldn’t be Bond for the simple reason that wasn’t what Ian Fleming wrote. It is not about being homophobic or, for that matter, racist – it is simply about being true to the character. A few years ago, I said that Cuba Gooding, Jr. would make an excellent Bond, but it was a joke! Although James may have been played by a Scot, a Welshman and an Irishman, I think he should be ‘English-English.'”

Says the worst James Bond ever.
Wale, a rapper, on how Frank Ocean won a Grammy because he's gay:

“If a dude was gay, man, he’d get a Grammy. They’re going to make fun of them, they’re gonna throw their Twitter jokes…but in the next three years there’s probably gonna be a dude who’s not even gay that’s just like ‘Man, this is my last resort’ …But nah, I would sign a gay rapper if he was dope. ‘Go ahead man, go do that thing, go do them Versace fashion shows.’ But the point I’m trying to make is it’s definitely – and people are probably going to go bad on me for saying this – but it’s an advantage to be gay in this country right now. That’s just the fact of the matter. Frank Ocean is very dope. Very very dope artist. He got pushed to the moon when he dropped his album though. He got the Grammy and everything. There’s about 30 artists in the country that sold about how much he did or more – they didn’t get any of that.”

First off, when you speak, make sure you can be understood because this shiz is all over the place.
Are they making 'fun' of gay people or giving them awards?
And, for the record, Wale, or whatever your name really is — Olubowale Victor Akintimehin — you don't win a Grammy for record sales so it makes no difference how many people sold the same number as Ocean, m'kay?
Anthony Mackie, the actor who plays The Falcon in the Marvel movies, on whether or not the new film The Black Panther needs a black director:

“I don’t think it’s important at all. As a director your job is to tell a story. You know, they didn’t get a horse to direct Seabiscuit! The thing is I don’t think the race of the director has to do with their ability to tell a story. I think it’s all about the director’s ability to be able to relate to that story and do it justice. I think men can direct women, and two of my greatest work experiences were with female directors. So I think it all depends. May the best man—or woman—win.”

Wait. What? A horse didn't direct Seabiscuit? I want my eight bucks back. And do not try and tell me a cartoon cat didn’t direct Garfield: The Movie or I'm'a cut a bitch.
Ken Ham, creationist, on same-sex marriage leading to full nudity:

“The doctrine of marriage is based there upon the literal history of Genesis But if that history is not true, if there was no literal Adam and Eve, then what is marriage, why is it to be a man and a woman? It’s only a man and a woman because God invented marriage, and he invented marriage when he made the first marriage, Adam and Eve.  The origin of clothing is right there in Genesis so if you abandon Genesis’ literal history of marriage and say marriage can be two men or two women or whatever you want, well why not abandon clothing?”

Wait, so God invented marriage and fashion? I know he gave Adam and Steve those fig leaves to cover their manly bits, but I never knew he created a pastor or preacher or priests or shaman or witch doctor to perform the ceremony where Adam and Eve got married.
I always thought they just shacked yup.

10 comments:

  1. goodness - they are still making james bond movies?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a creationist tradition, and trust me, there is no lunacy that some of these people will not believe. Not all creationists are this loony, and some are often quite reasonable on other issues, which I always found hard to fathom. But apparently the ability to pigeon-hole and compartmentalize your beliefs is part of the package. At any rate, as anyone familiar with the Jewish and Christian scriptures knows, you really don't want to open up that can of worms because scary stuff starts crawling out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re Roger Moore on what sort of Bond is played:-
    In all the five film incarnations to date the character of Bond has swerved this way and that so I don't think it would make much difference now if the character was black or gay. (And Moore should know better than most about departing from Ian Fleming's original concept). In fact the only things they all definitely have in common is their ruthlessness and patriotism and that they have the same employer, the British Secret Service. But if a black or gay actor was to play Bond as, well, gay at least, I don't know why they should bother to give him the name of James Bond in the first place or, indeed Danial Craig's successor whoever that turns out to be. But, of course, they will still call him Bond in order to extend the franchise as far into the future as poss., despite any connection with the original fictional character becoming ever more tenuous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God invented marriage? Really? And I thought that Adam's wife was Lilith.

    Why not abandon clothing? Good point. Why not indeed - save for getting chills in certain areas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bond on film now gone through SIX incarnations, of course. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ....or even SEVEN if David Niven is included. (Now I'll shut up!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Raybeard
    I knew i could trust you with a Bond response since you are my go-To movie reviewer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. roger moore has not aged well. the rest should STFU.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, shucks, Bob - and thanks as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roger Moore's Bond was embarrassing - nuff said. The Bond franchise is way beyond it's remit; Daniel Craig feh!

    I would love to see a horse direct a film; that really would be something completely different; I bet the Monty Python boys are really gutted they didn't do that.....or maybe they did.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......