Friday, April 28, 2017

I Didn't Say It ....

Ellen DeGeneres, on coming out on TV, and in real life, twenty years ago:

“It became more important to me than my career. I suddenly said, ‘Why am I being, you know, ashamed of who I am just to be successful and famous in society’s eyes?’ … And then I thought, the character on the show is clearly struggling. There’s no relationship. It was pretty clear it would be an easy transition for her to realize she was gay, which was why her relationships with men weren’t working out.”

And with those simple words—‘I’m gay’—spoken into a microphone at an airport, Ellen Morgan, and Ellen DeGeneres made history.
Shepard Smith, Fox News host, on the Flynn business and the _____ connection:

“The situation is unprecedented. Never in American history has a man so close to the president, on his cabinet, the national security advisor no less, been accused of committing a crime by taking money from a foreign entity, much less one connected to the Russians. At the core of all this is the Russians interfered with our elections. General Flynn received money through an entity that was from the Russians. And what they want to know is was there collusion? The White House at least is giving the appearance, according to these congressional leaders, of a lack of cooperation, which could give an overall appearance that they’re trying to cover something up. Why not quit with all the semantic juggling and stuff and get to the bottom of this as quickly as possible?” 

We can talk walls and Muslim bans and the EPA and any number of other things, but it’s gonna be Russia that sends _____ packing.
And I cannot wait.
Dan Savage, donating money from his resistance organizations to the ACLU, Planned Parenthood and IRAP:

“This morning I had the distinct pleasure of mailing off checks to Planned Parenthood ($33,333.34), the ACLU ($33,333.33) and the International Refugee Assistance Project ($33,333.33)—money we raised selling ITMFA [“Impeach The Mother Fucker Already” buttons, t-shirts, hats, stickers, coffee cups, and lapel pins at ITMFA.org and ImpeachTheMotherFuckerAlready.comAnd I got to mail those checks out because nearly 10,000 Savage Love readers and Savage Lovecast listeners have ordered #ITMFA gear over the last eight weeks!”

Impeach the MotherFucker already!
I’m in!
Magic Johnson, reflecting on his son EJ Johnson coming out;

“I think it’s all about you not trying to decide what your daughter or son should be or what you want them to become. It’s all about loving them no matter who they are [and] what they decide to do. I was so happy for him and happy for us as parents. EJ is amazing.”

That’s it in a nutshell; your child’s coming out is never about you, it’s just about them, about happiness and self-acceptance.
Good on Magic and his wife.
Ryan Murphy, creator of Feud: Bette & Joan, on the last episode where Joan Crawford, hallucinates a visit by Bette Davis:

"So we know that Joan was talking to people in her mind, and what if one of those people was Bette. I wanted to give the audience something that Joan and Bette actually did not have: a sense of closure. They talked about it individually, like ‘Oh I wish I would have handled it better.’ But I thought what if they said that to each other’s face? Obviously that conversation never happened, but it could have happened in Crawford’s imagination [and] it was inspired in part by the fact that Bette Davis said she had regrets ... It was based on the Crawford death research and what Bette Davis told me."

I just think that if those two women had learned to understand one another, oh, the things they could have done in Hollywood. But the studios and the press created a feud, created the friction, and the two women bought into it never knowing what might have been ...
Marco Rubio, Republican Florida Senator, denouncing the detention, torture, and murder of gay men in Chechnya, on the Senate floor:

“Unfortunately this is not a new reality for those living under the brutal tyranny of the Chechen leader, who by the way happens to be a loyal ally of Vladimir Putin. There have been reports in the past of similar abuses, although these reports seem to be the most brutal and should provoke anger in all of us. We should never, ever tolerate human rights violations against any person for their political views, their religious beliefs, or their sexual orientation. ... The United States and other responsible nations should do more to ensure that all people are protected, and those who harm them are held responsible. We should use our voice on the global stage to call attention to these horrifying acts and to ensure that they are condemned in an appropriate way, and ultimately in the hopes that they will be stopped.”

I never thought I’d say this, but good on Marco.
I mean, he’s not running for reelection so this isn’t some kind of pandering, I don’t think.
Maybe he’s actually had an awakening.
Brian Sims, openly gay Pennsylvania state Representative, taking on a Facebook troll—first name David—who wrote the words "N****r F****t" on Sims' page:

“David, I can’t tell if you’re just a really dumb little boy or an angry bigot but I know for sure that you shouldn’t have posted your grandmother’s telephone number on your Facebook page. She and I just had a very disappointing chat about you. We’ll talk soon.”

Snap. Smack. Bam.

4 comments:

  1. GO BRIAN! and all the other positive people in this list (I am on the fence about lil marco, cause I don't understand his "motives").

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good collection this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Dan Savage! The man's a menace in so many delightful ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that Rubio stood up for persecuted gay Chechens....who don't exist! The leader of the Chechen republic told us there were no gays in Chechnya and who wouldn't believe a nice man like that?

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......