Wednesday, October 09, 2024

Architecture Wednesday: Frank Lloyd Wright's Son, Lloyd' Wright's Bollman Residence In LA

After collaborating on Frank Lloyd Wright's seminal Hollyhock House, Wright's son, Lloyd Wright struck out on his, and designed and built the Henry O. Bollman Residence.

This was just Lloyd Wright’s second independent commission, but it translated the lessons he had learned working alongside his father, RM Schindler, Olmsted & Olmsted, Irving Gill and Norman Bel Geddes  into a harmonious and distinctive whole. Today, Wright's vision remains entirely intact, with only the most sensitive updates for 21st-century living.

Patterned concrete blocks and Mesoamerican massing evoke a sense of Hollywood drama; exquisite interior-exterior flow presages midcentury trends by several decades. There are four light-filled bedrooms, two vintage-inspired bathrooms, an airy, contemporary kitchen, formal; dining room, and large living room amid 2,518 square feet of living space.

Well situated on a more than 8,100 square foot flat lot in the Sunset Square HPOZ [Historic Preservation Overlay Zone], distinguished by elements of Wright's own original landscape design of lush gardens, palms and tropical foliage.

It  isn't just an architectural masterpiece, it’s also a fully functional, move-in-ready home, and recently sold for $3.2M. 

4 comments:

  1. Not feelin' the love with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like, but I don't know as I would live there. It is to precious to change, and I do like counter space in the bathrooms, counters next to the range, and wall ovens, I don't bend over like I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this very much, though I realize I’m not one for historic preservation homes (which I can’t redo to fit my desires... like lots of counter space in the kitchen). But I think it’s beautifully done. Except that the dining room chairs remind me of my own childhood dining room. So they would have to go!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......