Wednesday, October 07, 2020

Architecture Wednesday: Bumpers Oast

Bumpers Oast is an odd house, to be sure. My first thought? Box of Crayons. But, no,  the architects designed the house as a  21st century riff on the local oast houses used to dry hops as part of the beer-brewing process. To that end, four shingle-clad towers create a single family home that uses very little energy and yet appears to be a very bold, modern, innovative home.

The home was created for a family that moved to Kent 10 years ago and almost bought an oast house at that time because they wanted that sort of  intimate, idiosyncratic, circular  living space.

The proportions of the tower roundels were based on traditional oasts and stand slightly apart from one another, creating views inwards and outwards, and housing private functions such as bedrooms, bathrooms, and service spaces. The towers are connected to a triple-height central space that forms the heart of the house.

Kent-style tiles were used to create an exterior ‘skin’ in six shades, slowly fading from dark red at the base to light orange at the tip; every tile above eaves level was individually cut, with over 41,000 used across the whole facade.

The interior of the roundels is clad in plywood, as a continuous surface for the cylindrical parts,  with overlapping plywood shingles used for the roof cones. Curved furniture is built into rooms where possible to make the best use of the space. All bedrooms are on the first floor, and each one with its own private staircase to an upper level in the roof cone that can be a play area now, and a study zone later. The master bedroom is designed with a dressing area in the upper space that opens onto an en suite bathroom.

The downstairs bathroom uses mosaic which echoes the grey tones of the concrete, with matte and gloss finishes used to play with the reflection of the north facing windows. In fact, all window openings have reveals formed by the walls folding into them, which increases the light refraction coming into the rooms.

I still get Crayola, but it’s interesting to see this more organic shape, based on a local traditional of drying hops, used as a home.

Click to emBIGGERate …

Arch Daily

12 comments:

  1. I love Kent and I love an Oast. Curves are complicated but this is a lovely design.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative and fun.
    We grow hops around here,
    next county west.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @JP
    JP!!!!! I, too, love the shape of the house, both inside and out.

    @TDM
    Then you and The Engineer could build an oast house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love!
    I think the idea is fantastic. It should be pretty complicated to build them. Round buildings are awesome, though. I like the idea of separating the rooms by use, in any case.
    Great use of light, too.

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't do this to me Bob...I thought I had to much damn gin!!!!! That may be the oddest home I ever saw. I wouldn't be happy there...but I give the architect and designers kudos for a sleek clean creative creation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning...

    But I can't imagine living in it.

    That... does not look comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Six
    I, tgoo, like the oddness of it all, and the crayola colored roof!

    @MM
    It's a beer house not a gin house????

    @uptonking
    I think it would take some getting used to, but I do like the soaring missile-silo ceilings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun/odd exteriors. I was surprised how much I loved the interiors, but the windows are too small and limited for me. I like more openness of views.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The design would be massively expensive to build, the lack of straight walls would make arranging furniture a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mitchell
    Yeah, I didn't notice the windows so much, but I'd like bigger ones, too.

    @Travel
    But you'd be living inside a crayon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Debra
    It's pretty cool, right?

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......