Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Architecture Wednesday: Queens Lane


It’s cold here in Smallville and we’re nearing those wintry holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I need snow … and wine … and this place, with the perfect name, Queens Lane—fir for a queen—fills the bill.

Located along the Snake River just north of Jackson, Wyoming, this massive home, and outbuildings, is surrounded by mature cottonwoods, a pond, and several streams. The architects were inspired by the early twentieth century National Parks lodge architecture so large timbers, logs and stones make up the exterior.

In addition to the main house, there are two outbuildings—a shop/office and a wine silo … more on that later—that have a more traditional western log structure.

I love the rustic lodge feel of the home, and the I-don’t-know-how-many fireplaces throughout; and the views to the snowy meadows beyond … and the quiet of snowfall. My one quibble is with the guest room and the animal head on the wall; luckily I won’t be sleeping there.

In fact, I’ll probably be passed out in the wine cellar silo. That’s right, silo.

Since the compound lies in the Snake River flood plain, a standard wine cellar would not do, and so the idea of a silo, filled not with grain, but The Grape, was used. The interior of the silo is inspired by a wine cask, with reclaimed fir woodwork and a spiral staircase that accesses hundreds … hundreds … of bottles of wine bottles. You climb the stairs and make your selection and then keep climbing to the third floor where you sit and sip and admire the view.

And perhaps, as I said, fall asleep, because after that much wine I ain’t walking down a three-story spiral staircase!


11 comments:

  1. So, the silo is actually a big wine cooler... I could live there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is me! Love the rustic design; wood; fabric and combination of colour. Not sure about bison head in bedroom tho...
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wine silo! That's a new one!
    xooxoxxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. THe house itslef is quite stunning. I hope the wine silo had better be Well Insulated. I mean that snow is not fake but sometimes Wyoming is too cold to snow :)
    Butt, Hi! It me, your wet blanket of the day... The Bison head and also the beauffaloh rug, the wolfy skin hanging, and the (possibly Faux, if yes:nevermind)Cow-Covered Chairs there. It's enough to make the Vegans run away, screaming!
    Also, I wonder how many Navajo and other Native American made or design-copied pieces crosses the line beyond "decor"...
    "Is still Decor, or is Cultural Appropriation?" Welcome to my TED(:ious:) talk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And are those billiard balls on the ottoman??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful.
    I think wooden buildings do feel much more cozy than brick ones in winter.
    The silo, though... yes, please.

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just can't with snow.... what are you trying to do to me Bob? Snow whaaaa!
    X(.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love this one, I'd be like Miss Kitty, living in the west, and instead of the wine silo, it would be converted to gin silo!!!!!

    I wonder if any cowpoke come with the joint?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So would that silo be considered a wino?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Dave
    The silo sold me on the place.

    @JP
    I'm with you about the bison. Remove and I'll move in.

    @Jake
    Yeah, I don;t like the heads on the wall, though I don't mind the cow hide--I'm a horrible person like that. And i think those are billiard balls!

    @Sixoence
    It does scream warmth, and the silo screams 'Drink me.'

    @Steven
    Butthink of snuggling by the fire, or better yet, in the silo?

    @MM
    You'd have the best outfits for this place, and cowpokes? Yes, please!

    @Mitch
    Are you talking me, or the actual silo. It works either way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, gotta admit this is a cool house ... but what's with the buffalo head hanging in the bedroom? Ick!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......