Thursday, November 07, 2013

Random Musings

So, there were some elections this week and some rather nice wins, and some rather meh wins, too.

First up, Virginia told Ken “Let Me Regulate Your Vagina and Your Sex Life” Cuccinelli to step off in his bid for governor, and instead elected Democrat Terry McAuliffe.

Nice; but better? Well,  McAuliffe reiterated a campaign pledge to sign two executive orders on the day he takes office in January:
  • One: He would limit the value of any gifts to himself or immediate family to $100. That pledge is a reaction to the gifts scandal that consumed outgoing Governor Robert McDonnell, whose family accepted more than $160,000 in gifts and money.
  • Two: The other executive order, which McAuliffe said he would sign first, will protect LGBT state employees  from discrimination on the job.

Snap.

In New Jersey, Chris Christie was re-elected by a landslide.

And his “acceptance” speech reeked of a campaign stump speech for a 2016 run at the White House. He spent less time talking about the future of New Jersey than he did talking about how to fix politics in Washington.

Something he cannot do as governor but …. that said, I’d never vote Christie for anything given his rock hard stance against same-sex marriage.

PS That's the next cover of Time ... so many meanings.

Last Sunday Carlos and I had a lazy, lazy, day. Some grocery shopping, a little SNL on the DVR. He took a nap while I made dinner, and then we settled in to watch some TV.
As I was flipping through channels one movie caught his eye:

“’The Foreskin’? What’s that? It might be good.”

It’s ‘The Foresaken,” I said, “Keep it in your pants.”

Oy. And get some new glasses!

After Guido Barilla, the big parmesan at Barilla pasta conglomerate, came out and said, basically, that he hates The Gays, lotsa folks decided to try other brands of pasta and now Guido and his company are trying to make it better.’

Last week the company announced a new Diversity & Inclusion Board, a Global Diversity Officer, and participation in the HRC Corporate Equality Index.

Chief Executive Officer Claudio Colzani said:
“Diversity, inclusion and equality have long been grounded in Barilla’s culture, values and code of conduct. They are reflected in our policies and the benefits we provide to all employees, regardless of age, disability, gender, race, religion, or sexual orientation. At the same time, we are committed to promoting diversity further because we firmly believe that it’s the right thing to do.”
That first line cracked me up. Diversity and inclusion have “long been” a part of Barilla?
Someone forgot to tell Guido.

I’ll stick to the Kroger brand of pasta. They’re less expensive, gluten- and hate-free.

So again last Sunday, lazy, lazy, Sunday, Carlos and I couch-potatoed and settled in to watch Revenge. I had made a delicious Apple Cobbler for dessert and, well, I was ready to serve it so I paused the TV and waited for Carlos to ask about dessert. He did not and our game of Who’s The Biggest Baby? began.

I began tapping a box on the table, hoping to drive him crazy enough to ask for dessert, while he looked around the room as if it was his first time in there, trying to ignore.

I tapped; he glanced. I tapped; he glanced. I tapped; he glanced. I tapped; he glanced. I tapped; he glanced. I tapped; he glanced. I tapped; he glanced. I tapped; he glanced. I tapped; he glanced.

For thirty-five minutes until Carlos finally cracked and snarled, ‘All right! I’ll have some cobbler!’

Never.A.Dull.Moment.

Or maybe I should say Never.Adult.Moment?

I loathe Senator, and nasty Grampa, John McCain. I loathed his picking of Mama Grizzly Bore™ back in ’08 and his constant nitpicking at the president because he, McCain, didn’t get to take his turn in the Oval Office.

But this week, as the Senate debated Employment Non-Discrimination Act  [ENDA] and prepared to vote on it, where was John McCain? Doing the Jimmy Fallon Show. McCain was considered a possible backer of ENDA, but he decided to skip the vote so he could guest on a TV program.

And that man said he wanted to be president? I imagine that, on the night the Navy Seals captured and killed bin Laden, a “President” McCain might have been doing Letterman.
Dodged a bullet in ’08.

Now, there were nine senators who missed the ENDA vote, including Senator Claire McCaskill, the only Democrat who didn’t vote. She couldn’t be there because she was attending a funeral, not yucking it up with Jimmy.

And, to make McCain seem even more like a delusional; dick, he told reporters on Tuesday that if he hadn't been taping Fallon's show, he would have voted with the majority to advance ENDA.

Too late, asshat.

Lady Gaga has come up with another publicity stunt: the media hound pop star will sing in outer space in early 2015.

Zero G Colony, a three-day hi-tech music festival, is set to take place at Spaceport America, New Mexico, and the climax of the event will feature Gaga performing the first ever gig in outer space.  She will take off from the Spaceport on board a Virgin Galactic SpaceShip Two spacecraft and, upon reaching space, she will become the first ever-recording artist to perform outside the atmosphere, in zero gravity.

I am reminded of the tagline of the first Alien movie: In space, no one can hear you scream.

Hopefully that  goes for singing, too.

Hostages is rapidly becoming the most ridiculous show on TV. Now, Scandal plays some wild stuff out, but they don’t take themselves so seriously, while Hostages seems to Jump The Shark every week.

Sean Saves The World is a trite little comedy that, if given the chance to evolve, might actually become irreverent and funny. But it’s on NBC so I think the finger is on the cancellation button. Too bad, because Megan Hilty and Linda Lavin are a hoot on that show.

Betrayal? A couple of hot guys and a bunch of twisted subplots.

American Horror Story: Coven? Best.Season.Ever.

And, speaking of AHS:Coven, howsabout a little man candy in the form of Alexander Dreymon. He plays the son of Bible-thumping, tightly wound, Patti LuPone, but he might be a little more fun that he lets on.


Hopefully, though,::::SPOILER ALERT:::: getting sliced down the back by zombies this week won’t end his run on the show, though we’ve seen a couple of times that dying on Coven isn’t necessarily permanent.

5 comments:

  1. "Never. Adult. Moment." Classic ... Awesome ... I'm gonna use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This weekend is the first baking experiment weekend as we try new recipes for Thanksgiving. Since we have another big windstorm coming in... as long as we can keep power!
    First up almond flour maple sweetened ginger snaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TWO BIG THUMBS UP for the new guv of VA!

    yep carlos needs new glasses and BOTH of you need a spanking!

    barilla pasta can go bankrupt; I'll stick with san giorgio or my store brands.

    grandpa mccain is an asshat; but ya know what? my stoopid PA D senator DID NOT VOTE today on ENDA. I am rightly pissed.

    gaga can gogo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guuurrrrlllll, don't get me started on American Horror Story. I think it may be the best edge of seat show on!!!!! Every week just tops the previous. And so many wars brewing..... And that brings me to Fiona Goode. I want to be her so bad!!!!!!!!

    Meanwhile, Viktor is a man of many words,lol!

    Christie, the only thing to this day I commend him on is his speedy plan after Hurricane Sandy. Our Gov drug his feet forever to get anything up and running. Elephant in the room did give me a good laugh though.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......