Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Architecture Wednesday: Berkeley Craftsman

I love a good Craftsman and I love Berkeley and I love Chez Panisse in Berkeley, so this one is a win-win.

The home was previously owned and rebuilt by Kip Mesirow, the artisan builder of Berkeley’s most famous, Chez Panisse, and this house is an architectural extension of that restaurant, with the use of rich redwood interiors and exteriors, handcrafted details, walls of wood windows and French doors, along with Mesirow’s artistic copper light fixtures with Japanese influences.

Inside, the kitchen, dining area, and living room all share the same vaulted ceiling and open floorplan with walls of windows, a fireplace, and two large signature copper light fixtures. At the back of the home is a large family room—that was used by Mesirow as his design workshop—with rows of copper lights, a fireplace framed with copper and a wall of wood French doors opening to the back patio area where wisteria drips down from the balcony above.

Outside is a beautifully landscaped patio and garden planters for the urban farmer that is accessible from French doors off both the dining area and the family room. Upstairs is the primary with a fireplace framed by original Earnest Batchelder’s tiles, a wall of wood French doors opening onto a balcony with views of the city and beyond.

It really is a perfect house … it’s small, it’s Craftsman, it’s Berkeley, and it’s near Chez Panisse and if you have ever eaten there, you know what I mean.

Click to emBIGGERate ...

Dwell

13 comments:

  1. You had me at Berkeley...what a fun liberal little town. Always visit there when Im out there as my friend lives there. Love this house! And for some reason don't mind all the wood with this one. And with all the windows, it brings the outdoors in. Adore the courtyard too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't even mind the wood. Really.
    I think they did a great job with the layout and that little office would be a dream of quiet and peace.
    Love the garden and the courtyard! When these houses have those lived-in courtyards I'm always in awe.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice and cozy.
    That bedroom with the bed
    squished between the walls -
    how hard would it be to change
    the sheets?
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, but not made for dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Maddie
    Having grown up in California, and gone to college in San Francisco, and knowing and having eaten many times at Chez Panisse, I lovelovelove this house. All the glass really makes it bright and airy, even with al the wood.
    I want it.

    @Six
    I'm obsessed with the house and its location.

    @TDM
    I'd have Carlos do those sheets! =)

    @Dave
    But my cats would love the windows!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful property. How could anybody be miserable living there? The peacefulness seems to come from the thoughtful design and the use of wood. So human.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I confess I did not dine at Chez Panisse on my one trip to Berkeley, but I love this house. It's just about perfect for me. It just needs some blue. Not red. Definitely a beautiful blue. My daughter went to grad school at Berkeley, so that's why I visited. Sadly, Berkeley had scary homeless people.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Yorkshire
    It does seem so tranquil.

    @Janie
    Berkeley is one of y favorite spots, and Craftsman are some of my favorite houses, and I love a good restaurant. It's all in for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great place. Great space. I’m not a fan of a lot of wood, but this is beautifully done. And so much light. We both worked at Berkeley. It was the only time in our lives we felt slightly conservative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, for once... breathtaking. Love all the warmth of the wood. It is a bit much, but rather that than cold concrete and glass. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Mitchell
    Berkeley is like my Mother Ship.

    @upton
    I love the windows and the light; so peace filled.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty, but I can't make the floorplan work. No bedroom on the ground floor, and at my age - well climbing stairs for the next 20 years is not guaranteed. No true master bedroom, the middle bedroom is too narrow to function as a bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love this house. OMG, it is possible to have a spirit house? I would hate to see the price tag but maybe I can incorporate some of the ideas into our abode.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......