Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Architecture Wednesday: Frank Lloyd Wright's Charles F. Glore House

Kill me now. This is an original Frank Lloyd Wright Usonian-style house—smaller than his sprawling Prairie style residences, with little ornamentation and no basements or attics—in the Chicago suburb of Lake Forest that just sold for nearly $3 million, and I missed it!! Kill me now.

This, the Charles F. Glore House, built in 1954, is the only Wright work in Lake Forest, and of course it features Wright trademarks like clerestory windows, built-in bookshelves, mahogany panels, four fireplaces—three of which are cantilevered—and an abundance of brick. The home has been updated, but in a way that doesn’t detract from the FLW-style; a formal dining room was added after enclosing a portion of the deck, and the windows have been upgraded. In additional, the traditional FLW red concrete floors, on the main level, have been replaced by gray concrete floors resulting in a brighter look that contrasts with the extensive woodwork.

The house sits on a nearly two-acre lot, just one block from the lake, with over 4,300 square feet, four bedrooms, four baths, large living areas, and expansive outdoor spaces.

The entry runs along the front of the house and also acts as a library space, as well as a spot to marvel the suspended staircase to the second floor. Off that hallway is the dining room and wet bar addition to the home, but it’s what’s at the end of that long book-lined hall that’s the prize.

As in many of Wright’s designs, most of the bedrooms in the home are not large, because, he felt, it forced the residents to congregate in the main common areas. But why would you not, when the living room has dramatic double-height cathedral windows that open out to the park-like setting of the backyard. Upstairs, there are the four bedrooms; the master suite with en suite, fireplace and private terrace; a large guest room with walls that move to open it to the living room below; and two additional bedrooms.

The kitchen has also been updated, as have the bathrooms, but with cabinetry and counters that recall FLW’s original design, but make the rooms more efficient for the 21st century.

I can’t with this house… it’s too big for us, but what I wouldn’t give to call it home.

Click to emBIGGERiate ...

10 comments:

  1. This doesn't warm my heart cockles at all. I'm beginning to think that I'm the type who has to experience buildings in person rather than in pictures. I can't be at odds with so many dwellings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I must say - when I think of Frank Lloyd Wright, I think about that house in Wisconsin with the pointed overlook. House on the rocks? With all those crazy collections and mildew? One of the oddest things I have ever experienced. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sold me the most? The suspended staircase design, and that long hallway of the book shelves. I also loved that master bedroom!!!! I also was in love with all the exposed brick. And I a sucker for concrete floors with area rugs.

    But I not sure I would want to winter in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the books!
    Fun to see some history.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the stairway and the book shelves. I usually don't love long hallways like that but this works. I'm surprised one of his houses still goes for only 3 million (yes I actually said only 3 million). I assume they did all the modernization and THEN applied for historic home status? I'm just wondering because two different couples we knew did that in San Diego. Great tax break for preserving historic homes after you've done everything you want to them. Anyway, in this case, it doesn't look like they drastically altered the look -- as did those old acquaintances ... who should be forgot and never brought to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Deedles
    Well, to be fair, FLW homes are a special breed and must be seen in person becauyse they are spectacular.

    @uptonking
    I haven't heard of House on the Rocks so I will check it out!

    @Maddie
    I, too, fell in love with the hallway. And I loved that one owner along the way changed the floors from red to polished concrete; so much nicer.
    A friend and I were saying that same thing about Chicago when I showed him this post today!

    @TDM
    I'm with you about the books. And I also like that any modification was done in a way that suited FLW's original design.

    @Mitchell
    I think the owners changed things, like the floors and the kitchen finishes, in ways that fit with FLW's ideas. And I like that; I think if they had modernized the house it would have ruined it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know where this house is!
    We did a FLW tour last summer (it was outside, so we did not have to interact with people) and this was one of the houses we visited.
    It's super, super nice. Those three mil. were well invested. And the thing is, contrary to some FLW houses that tend to be a little cramped inside, this one feels really open.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Six
    I loved that it had soaring ceilings and all that glass, and 3mil ain't that much for an FLW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those windows -- WOW! I know if that were my place I'd have it cluttered up with at least 1,200 more houseplants.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......