Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Open Letter Tuesday: Dear Madonna

Dear Madonna,

You’re still popular. You still sell out arenas full of screaming fans; people still buy, or download, your music, and some folks, a few anyway, go see your movies. But I’m guessing you’re feeling the pressure of new artist nipping at your heels; new artists trying to take your place. How else do we explain your antics, your shock moments that seem perfectly staged to keep you in the news, to keep you relevant?

I mean, you whipped out guns during your last concert tour as a show of shock and after dogging Janet Jackson’s ALLEGED wardrobe malfunction, you flashed your boobs and your ass onstage. You ask if molly is in the house from the stage to prove you’re just as hip as the kids. 

And then this: you posted another picture to Instagram—another show of relevancy—of your 13-year-old son Rocco Ritchie boxing with the quote:
No one messes with Dirty Soap! Mama said knock you out! #disni**a."
And then, naturally because I’m sure it was part of your Relevancy Plan, as people began to voice their disapproval, and anger, you replaced that caption with this one:
Ok let me start this again. #get_off_of_my_dick_haters!
And then the story kept growing and growing, which I’m sure was your intention, and you issued a formal “apology” through your representative Liz Rosenberg:
"I am sorry if I offended anyone with my use of the N word on Instagram. It was not meant as a racial slur... I am not a racist. There's no way to defend the use of the word. It was all about intention... It was used as a term of endearment toward my son who is white. I appreciate that it's a provocative word and I apologize if it gave people the wrong impression. Forgive me."
As I explained earlier today to Juan Pablo, there is no such thing as an apology that starts off with ‘I’m sorry if …’

I’m sorry I offended anyone. That’s an apology, Madge. That’s how it’s done.

I don't think you're a racist, Madge, and I don't think, as others have said, that you're stupid. I think you are cold and calculating about your career and will do anything, say anything, show anything, wear anything, to get attention, to keep your name out there. Hmm, come to think of it, that is kinda stupid ...

And, while I really don’t wish to add to your quest for continued relevance, I would like to know how using the term “did ni**a” is empowering to the white son of a rich woman? How, exactly, is Rocco empowered by that?He isn’t. It was a ploy for attention, as are most of the things you do. So stop, and think, before you speak.

Just stop. It’s getting as old as you. 

7 comments:

  1. her 15 minutes of fame were up about 15 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is bad enough that she uses her various body parts and drug talk to garner attention. But her kids!! Off limits from one Mama to another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:08 PM

    Chris Hardwick (so adorable) of The Talking Dead and the new show on ComCentral @Midnight said: Madonna can't be racist! Do you know how many black guys she's fucked? She fucked Dennis Rodman. She's fucked so many black guys her vagina gets BET!

    He makes a funny argument.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it a disease, this need for the limelight? So many of these aging film stars, musicians etc. are drowning in money, yet they make fools of themselves just to be on show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:33 AM

    it's dumb to say everything she does is for attention, this was clearly not. nor was the nudity in her show, it served an artistic purpose and was a statement about the public and how generally dumb and closed-minded they are about women, double standards, the body and aging (i.e. her body is incredible thru hard work, and her age should not shame her into hiding it, it should inspire lazy women to get in shape and not sit around complain about sagging aging boobs). and w this, this is not the attention one wants. she thought she was being edgy and cool and probably feels entitled to use disni--a without worrying people would take it the wrong wa - but that is for her friends, not for the public (her instagrams in general are awful and she is horrible at using it). she was wrong, naive and if anything just off her mark with what was an attempt to use what I imagine her younger dancers use. I only write now b/c I love her and appreciate her amazing talent and music/shows. I too was embarrassed by this but it's not really a big deal, and I don't think she expected it would be. She lives in a bubble and has been out of touch w/ the "people" for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's always been rude to her fans and when criticized, suddenly it's a misunderstanding or society's fault. I think the public at large has finally had enough of her and her children.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......