Thursday, December 13, 2012

Art Break: Nic Fiddian-Green, The Horse "Sculpturer"

When we first moved to Smallville, we were invited to attend the Carolina Cup, a steeplechase event that happens every year. So, we went; I'd never been to any kind of horse race before so i was intrigued, and Carlos had grown up with horses so i figured he'd be a good guide for me.
Our friends had a spot near the paddock where the horses would come out before the races and I loved the way these magnificent animals moved as they paraded around for all to see. Such grace and yet such power.
Then they were taken up to the track for the races and the races were amazing; such speed, and the way the horses leaped over the barriers with ease.
After each race, the horses would return to the paddock, and these once graceful animals were sagging and drenched with sweat and just looked beaten. Carlos told me that, many times, they cough up blood from their lungs because they really aren't made to run that fast and jump that high, with a tiny man on their backs. I sort of lost interest in the races because, to me, it destroyed the beauty of the animal.
Nic Fiddian-Green understands the beauty of the animal and has become quite the sculptor of horses....bringing their grace and strength and sheer size to the most unusual spaces.

source

6 comments:

  1. I was a horse-nerd. I had a half Arab half Tennessee Walker named Sunny. He was a gorgeous palomino, sweet tempered and in love with the Arab stallion in the barn. My trainers told me that stallions will attack a gelding. One day we found Abu (the stallion) out of his pen and with his head in Sunny's stall. They had their heads together and were just happy as can be. We didn't worry any more about the two horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool. I wish I had a huge place to put one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sculptures!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......