Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Architecture Wednesday: Little Florence Farm

Despite its proximity to the wonderful amenities of Rye, within the High Weald National Landscape, Little Florence Farm sits in a peaceful rural setting. A quiet, unmade road forms the approach, with a driveway in front providing space to park several cars.

The home’s chestnut-clad silhouette is both traditional and contemporary: it references the surrounding farming traditions while having an abundance of glazing that hints at the brightness within the home.  

Entry is from the front, via two large grey metal doors beneath a canopy. This opens to the central hallway, where plenty of built-in storage provides space for shoes and coats; poured concrete runs underfoot, and walls are washed in a subtly textured lime wash.

At the rear is the long open-plan living space, an exquisite double-height room lit by a combination of garden-facing windows and skylights. The kitchen sits on one side, and has bespoke cabinets with handless doors, granite countertops, twin stainless-steel sinks and an island formed from a reclaimed science workbench. There is a utility room with space for a fridge and white goods.

The remainder of the room is versatile, with plenty of space for a large dining table. Off the dining area, concealed and revealed by large sliding doors is a capacious yet intimate sitting room oriented towards a log-burning stove. On the left-hand side of the ground floor is a wonderful study with views over the garden and plenty of built-in bookshelves.

Bespoke oak stairs ascend to the first floor, where there are three generous bedrooms, all with built-in wardrobes, skylights, and timber floorboards. The upstairs bathroom is also grounded with ample natural light and has a freestanding bath and walk-in shower.

Separate from the main home is a two-story studio, designed in the same style as the main home. There is a studio space on the ground floor with an adjoining kitchenette and utility room, and upstairs is a well-composed en suite bedroom. Outside a large deck offers access to a sauna, outdoor shower area and cold plunge; it’s the perfect spot for guests or for multigenerational living.

The garden that surrounds Little Florence Farm is a sensory, naturalistic space that provides visual interest throughout the year. Wildflowers grow in a dedicated area, and a kitchen garden has been created with raised beds for vegetables and herbs. An idyllic pond sits on one side and is framed by water irises. A substantial decked area runs along one side of the house and is a great space for dining outdoors in dry weather against a backdrop of farmland. In addition, overlooking the lawn, is an outdoor office space with bucolic views of the surrounding farmland.

And yours for £1.8 million.

As always click to emBIGGERate …

9 comments:

  1. Well, I’d live in the studio because I don’t think I need more, but if you want me to have the house, I’ll take it.
    I think this would be my ideal house to retire, and the three bedrooms would accommodate visitors, it’s very serene.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it but I'd have to paint first; the colors seem so sad to me, though maybe bold furnishings and art could save it.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. It looks like it was built and furnished out of a barnyard, scrap heap, and garden trimmings, and it is priced like a luxury. I couldn't save this one. Listing poured concrete floors as a feature is a first for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind concrete floors; they are quite resilient. As for the old wood scrap heap, one man's trash is another man's highly prized building material.

      Delete
  3. Krayolakris9:15 AM

    Looks like a pauper’s coffin…sorry, that’s morbid. Maybe with some color inside and out; I don’t know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:54 AM

    the dog's mother
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very rustic, but I like it. I'd would have to lighten things up a bit. Maybe paint, or add windows. And some artwork. It needs some life.
    I'm still trying to figure out what that hanging thing is over that bathroom(?) sink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like this one. I don't like that the second floor rooms are comprised by the slant of the roof. It needs paint, too.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......