Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Architecture Wednesday: Roman Villa

Located along the historic and legendary Via Appia Antica, about 3 miles from the Colosseum and a 15-minute drive from the heart of Rome, is a fabulous villa, once home to famed film producer Carlo Ponti and Sophia Loren.

Designed by renowned Roman architect Busiri Vici, the main villa covers 8600 square feet over two levels, with an elevator connecting the two floors and a panoramic rooftop terrace. There are five bedrooms each with a private bathroom, powder room, library, a winter garden and a room with a bathroom reserved for service personnel … cuz you know I’d be needing service personnel, AKA Maddie-speak for Houseboys.

The heart of the residence is a majestic 3500-square-foot hall, divided into three interconnecting rooms with large windows, three fireplaces and views of the garden. The entire area is decorated with statues and original marble artifacts—some of which are over 2,400 years old—giving the house a museum-like atmosphere of great charm and cultural depth.

The main house stands on a layer of solidified lava from the nearby volcano of Castel Gandolfo, in an area that was excavated by the ancient Romans to extract basalt used in the construction of the Appian Way. The excavation created a kind of natural amphitheater that elevates the villa nearly fifty feet above the surrounding landscape, offering a dominant position over the gardens.

In is within that garden where you’ll find a second structure: a 7500-square-foot Provencal-style building that was once a stable and has been transformed into an elegant and bright residence. The heart of the space is a large 3400-square-foot open loft with high ceilings, large windows, a professional kitchen and period furnishings selected from unique Italian and Northern European pieces, ideal for private receptions, events or family time.

The garden, which covers an impressive 150,000 square feet is a true masterpiece of landscaping, personally designed and maintained by the current owner, a landscape architect. Outdoor spaces include a swimming pool, mature trees, stone pathways, private relaxation areas, a garage, technical rooms, a gardeners’ annex, and the ultimate in privacy, while remaining strategically connected to the city’s major neighborhoods, international schools, cultural sites, and the capital’s best restaurants.

This is not simply a residence, but an iconic and unrepeatable property that encapsulates the soul of ancient Rome, the elegance of Italian design and the immortal spirit of international cinema. Rich in history and incomparable in its charm, it is a home for those seeking beauty, uniqueness and a legacy to pass on. Available by private appointment only and reserved for selected clients.

I don’t know the price because, well, if you have to ask …

6 comments:

  1. Krayolakris8:22 AM

    Oh so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got me!!!!! The Provencal Mediterranean style has always been a favorite on mine. I adore the aged look of the exterior. The inside will do very nicely. That library alone is stunning, as is the outdoor tunneled dining space...with crystal chandelier. That is where all my dinners with guest would be. I don't see a negative with this place at all....and room for the whole stable of my houseboys!!!!

    la dolce vita!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa.
    It’s huge. Five bedrooms, huh?
    And LaLoren lived there with Carlo? No wonder.
    If I had the dough, I’d snatch it and I’d make it an LGBTQ friendly B&B and I’d show Sofia’s movies in the sunroom.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee.... I think I'm going to have to break into my piggy bank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Italy? Oh, now you're talking my language when it comes to old-world charm and elegance. The only thing that would top it would be an equivalent place in Greece.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......