Wednesday, December 09, 2020

Architecture Wednesday: Villa Mandra

After last week’s Minnesota rustic cabin, with it’s emphasis on   wood, I have opted for a modern beach house in Greece; light and bright; stone and stucco; nearly tree-less landscape but, oy, that sea view. This home, the Villa Mandra, sits on the ridge of the hill of Aleomandra in Mykonos, and yet is almost entirely hidden from view .The six-bedroom holiday house looks straight out to sea and the sunset over the neighboring island of Delos, Villa Mandra celebrates its spectacular view from a sensitively landscaped, stone-walled garden that screens it from the road behind.

In order to enjoy the outdoors on those scorching summer days, the patio living and dining areas are fully shaded overhead, but open to the pool and the sea beyond. And even though the house is built for large gatherings, it nestles into the landscape, so as not to overtake it and rise above it.

There are two small traditionally whitewashed volumes and a third one built of stone dug from the site, built around a large ‘courtyard’ covered by a chestnut pergola. This courtyard becomes the focal point of the house, seamlessly connected to the  indoor living room and the kitchen volumes and looking over the pool. Beneath the pool garden are the private bedrooms, separated for privacy, but each with its own garden and sea view.

It’s cozy and comfortable, while able to house large groups of people; it’s simple and yet luxurious; you can gather together, or go your own way.

I’m already packing.

Arch Daily

7 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I love this one too. I could totally get into a open air house...it has always appealed to me, and I love the floors of this place. I am getting from the exterior another very posh James Bond estate...and in this one I'll be playing Ariel View.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy. You get a strong wind... the sand... everywhere. Cleaning that place? Of course, if you can afford to live there, it's not like you're the one doing the cleaning, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! If we were allowed to go anywhere, I might be packing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, it's in Greece so I'd say yes anyway.
    Second, yo know I love me some house with that indoor/outdoor living personality.
    Third, the color scheme is fantastic and it reflects the surroundings. Some people may find that gradient of neutrals a little boring but I think it's fantastic.
    I'd move right in.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Mykonos - love the house!
    If Pretty saw it, she'd be packing, too! That's her favorite place in the world...
    Can you believe a birther movement has now been started regarding Kamala Harris???
    To quote Mitt Romney, of all the unlikely people I could quote, Trump is "mad."
    No kidding. Where are your Repub amigos, Mitt??
    See how easily I transitioned from the house in Greece to the Repubs. You would think some of them could recognize President-elect Biden.
    Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......