Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Architecture Wednesday: CRA House

I like this one, and then I don’t. I like that it seems to be set in some kind of jungle area in Mexico, but I don’t like that it’s actually set within a residential country club in Avándaro, México. Country club? Me?

I like the openness, but then it’s kind of dark. I like the stone, but the wooden interiors seem kind of unfinished. I like a dark bedroom, but lovelovelove that light-filled bathroom.

But, and this might be the biggest but—sorry Nicki or KK—I love the design. I love that, given the mountain character of the site, the home was designed specifically for this plot of land. And the idea that the house was rotated on-site to obtain the best orientations and the best and widest views towards the golf field.

Golf? Me?

Still, by rotating the perimeter walls of the house, they create several diagonal landscaped spaces that open to the home and to the :::gulp::: golf course beyond. The main great room sits on ground level, with access to a pool that is both indoors and out; as is the great room, with walls of glass that slip out of sight to open up the entire space.

One the floor, rooms are arranged around a central space for distribution and collection of solar energy; this area also becomes sort of an observation platform, with views toward different parts of the forest that surrounds the home. The four bedrooms contained under the roof all have soaring ceilings and mezzanines at the highest points of the home.

I like it, and I don’t; I like the idea of the house, but move it away from the country club please.


Arch Daily
 

14 comments:

  1. This house would look beautiful abandoned, with all that shrubbery going haywire. A great spelunking house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. Something is off with this one on many fronts with me. It's almost depressing looking at the pictures. Has the feeling someone died and time stood still. About the only thing I liked was the bathroom design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, although those wooden spaces DO look a bit unfinished. It must be so weird to live in a structure this big. (Say I, who since college have always lived in small apartments!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the design. And the interiors could be super cool. I guess it's the way it was photographed.
    I like the idea of indoor/outdoor living in the dining are.
    The bathroom is a dream, though.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope. This is one big BUTT for me. Some obviously nice features, but it doesn't sing. And oh dear god inside a country club with views of a golf course. Hell no.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @uptonking
    I love a spelunking house!!

    @MM
    Depressing, yes. Love the locale and the bathroom, and maybe the pool but the rest is meh.

    @Steve
    I feel the same way about the bedrooms; I'll need them finished if they want me to move in!

    @Six
    You and I are on the same page with this one!

    @MM
    Doesn't sing is a nice way to put it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only the bathroom appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @krayolakris
    It is a great bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:30 PM

    I will pass...I am 6 feet 2...The ceilings appear to be a little too low...And please let me know when they are finished with the interiors...I agree...It looks like a little more work is needed..Also, I need light and color...Not bold-maybe a little-but color and light...Nothing dark or suffocating...

    Wishing you, Carlos, and the kids a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS and the BEST of the New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is well made. I would pass as not my style

    ReplyDelete
  11. well... interesting but a bit odd.
    And, also NO to the golf course.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I work in the Home Improvement industry and something about this one doesn't look finished.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @VRC
    "please let me know when they are finished with the interiors." Exactly.
    Merry Christmas to you, too!

    @Ur-spo
    I usually put up things I like, but this one is nice, and not; my style and not. Morenot, I'm guessing.

    @TDM
    Me? Golf? Nope.

    @Dave
    I don't mind some unfinished styles, but the house seems like it's too houses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the unfinished wood, concrete and stone. The golf course wouldn't bother me, the golfers might. The bedroom looks open above, I'd worry about noise (I snore, someone talks in his sleep.)

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......