Friday, March 15, 2019

PR 17 Ep 1:New Day, New Runway


Well well well, Project Runway has come home to Bravo, but left Tim Gunn and Heidi Klum behind to do a pseudo-PR for Netflix or something. I was dubious, because, while Heidi I could take or leave, I need me some Gunn. Needless to say, I was dubious about host Karlie Kloss or mentor Christian Siriano—a former PR winner—and judges Elaine Welteroth, editor of Teen Vogue, and designer Brandon Maxwell. But, there was also the return of the Fabulous Nina Garcia, Editor-in-Chief of ELLE so maybe it would be okay.

And it was.

As the show started, we met the designtestants who gave us a peek at their design style with a quickie fashion show featuring just one look ... from above:

Row 1: Afa Ah Loo gowned us with a ginormous train. Bishme Cromartie presented a leather structured look that had Nina saying, ‘That’s my outfit.’ Cavanaugh Baker’s style was UWS bland. Frankie Lewis designs Big Girl Drama.
Row 2: Garo Sparo’s look seemed sort of dominatrix costume. Hester Sunshine gave us quirky crazy. Go figure. Jamall Osterholm showed The Puffy Coat. Kovid Kapoor got a smile out of Nina, who called his look, ‘Bold!’
Row 3: Lela Orr’s look gave me the blahs. Nadine Ralliford made a statement piece; she’s here to show. Rakan Aldeen is all about the sculpture. Renee Hill is some fierce drama styling. 
Row 4: Sebastian Grey presented a modern, very tailored piece. Sonia Kasparian gave me some Goth costume, or as I will now call it, Gothtume. Tessa Clark seems very modern urban future. Venny Etienne looks to create modern sportswear. 

I already have my favorites, and the ones I want to see leave first.

For the challenge, each of the judges shows a photo that represents the moment when they realized fashion was their calling.

Karlie’s is her first runway at age 13; Brandon is a phot of his mother rocking some 80s design in a fashion show at his grandmother’s clothing store. Nina shows a photo taken during her first shoot—it’s black and white and on a yacht and everyone is wearing wide-legged white pants and it’s totally Nina. Elaine gives us the first cover she worked on at Ebony ­with Serena Williams in a blue bathing suit.

The designtestants are broken into four groups, each assigned a different judge’s photo and we begin …
THE SAFES
Row 1, left to right
Afa’s look is nice, but kind of boring, except for the king-sized sheet train bringing up the rear.
Bishme’s is nice, modern, edgy, but monochromatically dull.
Garo’s features a tiny, tiny waisted model, in what I thought of as slutty sailor.
Hester’s is a mishmash of structure and volume and faux neckline and sleeves. It’s crazy.
Jamall’s is kind of superhero, though the model’s nipples were not needed.
Row 2, left to right
Kovid’s look was goddess and flowing and, well, done before.
Nadine gave us bike messenger negligee.
Rakan. The high point was the shoes.
Sebastian also went sailor, but modern, edgy constructed sailor. I liked.
Sonia’s look was very elegant and chic. I’m watching her.

THE TOPS
Renee
Renee is Muslim and so I think she’ll give us covered up looks, which I love because I think they’re harder to make appealing to some people. I did love how Renee, when the designtestants arrived at their apartment, said she couldn’t share a room with a man because she’s Muslim, and Sebastian assured her that he was ‘not a straight.’
WHAT SHE SAID
It says everything about what I was envisioning.
WHAT I SAID
Yassss. This is drama and chic and versatile and I love it.
WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Karlie loved all the details while Brandon loved its quiet strength and really reminded him of his mother in the photo. Nina was a fan of the versatility, while Elaine said she went for it all and there wasn’t a thread out of place and Brandon ended with Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Tessa
Her parents wore aprons. That’s what she said; Dad worked in a mill and mom made pottery. So, Tessa will give us an apron-esque look, with flowing straps down the back and shell buttons—or, as Nina calls them, ‘but-tons.’
WHAT SHE SAID
I really went very minimal.
WHAT I SAID
From the front, it’s safe, but turn it around and there’s some fun and some whimsy and some sexy.
WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Brandon dubbed it a chic fisherman, especially with the netted handbag. Nina scared Tessa by saying it didn’t look like $250 … it looked luxe and expensive, comfortable and confident.  Elaine loved it up close, and Nina, also a fan of a pocket, loved that detail Karlie said it was the kind of dress no one would notice when you entered the room, but when you walked passed them and saw the back, it was all over.

Venny
I like Venny, he seems fun. But he loves a kitchen sink. During the critique, Cristian looked at his outfit inspired by Brandon’s mother and said to edit it down … there was black and white and silver and leather and feathers! Oh my.
Luckily Venny listened.
WHAT HE SAID
C’mon Brandon! Crack a smile!
WHAT I SAID
There could have been a further edit … and then he might have added that other sleeve.
WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Brandon called it confident and powerful while Nina said it got a great reaction on the runway; she added that it was a lot of look, a risk, but sometimes more is better than less. Elaine asked where a real woman might wear it—Venny said on a night out with the girls—but did love the one-sleeved jacket. Karlie agreed and said it was very well constructed.

THE BOTTOMS
Lela
She was given Karlie’s photo and noticed the other designers were going very silver and muted in their color palette and so she opted for some red.
That might not have been good.
WHAT SHE SAID
It’s very glamorous, very colorful.
WHAT I SAID
I don’t see the glamour and I see just two colors and some ugly shoes.
WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Karlie liked the simplicity of the look but noted that the execution was bad. Nina liked it as Sporty Karlie but also noticed the lack of skills and the “unfortunate” fabric. Brandon wondered if the long red piece was intended as Kleenex and said you could see the mistakes from space. Elaine loved the asymmetry but Karlie got in the last dig, “It’s not the worst.”

Frankie
Frankie’s a crier; and she may have good reason seeing that she’s homeless and her boyfriend dumped her and she screwed up the measurements on her body suit and had to create this mess in a couple of house.
But there’s something about Frankie that the others like and many rallied around to encourage her and help her …as in physically help her sew it together at the last minute.
WHAT SHE SAID
I feel sick.
WHAT I SAID
I feel you, gurl.
WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Nina hated the fabric because it didn’t offer the support of a true body suit. And when Frankie tried to point out that there was some stretch to the fabric, she literally pulled a piece of it off the model. Elaine noted that you only get one shot to show your stuff, and this showed no craftsmanship at all. Brandon said she had design but no real POV. Karlie tells Frankie that she has "questions about her taste level."

Cavanaugh
This is the snob of the bunch. She whined about a twin bed at the apartment because she hasn’t slept on a twin since she was in Europe and they pushed two twins together to make her a king. She declared that$250 was not enough to shop for fabrics at retail prices; duh, bitch, it’s the PR! She worried she couldn’t design for a curvy model …and she couldn’t. She whined that Frankie got help sewing her look right after she asked her model to help sew hers.
She tried for a simple black dress and a cool jacket but didn’t measure the jacket right and so all that was left was the dress. Big mistake, huge.
WHAT SHE SAID
I’m not feeling so hot.
WHAT I SAID
WTF kind of Target off-the-rack, I-could-make0-this-myself is going on here?
WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Brandon called it basic … ouch … and couldn’t believe she spent all her money Nina said it could have been better …perhaps with a designer with skills? Elaine gave Cavanaugh props for knowing she had a horrible look, but couldn’t connect it to Brandon’s photo. Karlie noted that even the accessories couldn’t save the look.

I was pulling for Renee, but Tessa got the win.

I was pulling for Cavanaugh, to go home, and got the win. And when she left she said, “I wasn’t expecting to ho home on the first challenge. My garment was flattering and had detail, while other garments … were thrown together without thought. I’m so ready to wash my hair and to sleep on a real bed with a real pillow.”

Bye Felicia.
Hester made the rookie mistake of picking a fabric she’d never used before and almost screwed herself. Luckily, she tossed it in the trash.

Christian is no Tim Gunn, but I liked his mentoring style, and the fact he said he was so excited he was about to pee.

Mimi, Kovid’s model, is the first trans model on the PR and I loved Kovid’s reaction to her story:
“I’m so honored.”
He then told who he and his boyfriend were outed to the police in his home country and had to flee to safety. Oy, this world.

Lela called herself eco-lux; I’ll hold the verdict on that one.

Kovid was, at first, annoying, and then he turned delightful and sweet and lovely.

I hope Frankie doesn’t cry every week because I’m over it already.

I loved Afa’s face as he watched Cavanaugh put her model to work. Oy, the grimace.

Karlie? She made me miss Heidi, but she may improve over time. Brandon? I need some snark from him and I know he’s got it. I did love how, every time someone took off a jacket, he squeeed, “Ooooh, a reveal!” Elaine? Okurr. Nina? Yassss, queen. Keep in mind that Cavanaugh lost because she broke Rule # 1 of Project Runway: Don’t.Bore.Nina.

The Hotties, after just one look? Garo, Sebastian and Venny.


What did YOU think of PR 2.0?

12 comments:

  1. I was sooooo hoping you would do the
    *new* version of PR. I miss Tim Gunn
    too. I'm sure ChristianS. will do a great
    job. Another reason to look forward to
    Fridays!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was happy to see more than just skinny girl models are being given a chance to shine and was VERY happy to see little miss stuck up sent home quick fast and in a hurry. That kind of privileged better than you attitude is so over. In looking at the photos you've posted, something I couldn't see on television, and something the judges didn't call out, but the skirt on the "Lela" photo is so poorly constructed that instead of what the judges call cameltoe, looks like the model is sporting a penis. AmIright? Do you see it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh honey, there ain't one of them that's a top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Boots
    I think it's just a weird shadow????

    @Blobby
    In their dreams?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Tim Gunn already. I've never liked Christian S because he was so bitchy and mean during his season. That was back at a time when Heidi and company always chose the contestant with the worst attitude for the winner. But we're looking forward to this season. I agree with your hotties list but my husband and I are already favoring Kovid. He's adorkable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Alan
    He is adorkable, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa. I didn’t even remember this show was still on.
    Tim Gunn was everything in this show.
    Christian Sirano is cool, tho?

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sixpence
    On his season, I always found Siriano annoying, but as a mentor, while no Tim Gunn because, who could, he's actually pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:22 PM

    Loved the show...I am letting it breathe and come into its own...I love the set...I love Nina...Did you notice that a lot of them are semi-professionals...I am so glad Cavanaugh left...I never understood folks like her...What makes her better than the rest...Really... I would have put her in her place...Quick...And what was she wearing during the final runway...Beverly Hill Combat sheik...We all know the show is edited but I believe the reason why folks rallied around our crier-GOD MAKE IT STOP-is that she was kind to everyone...A bit of fresh air...Of course, folks will step in...Did you catch the one guy say that he would ask/should ask his fellow designers to help out then let a model sew for you...That's not their job...Thanks, dear for your great recap...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the reminder that the show is back on. I really liked Tim Gunn too. I didn't read your whole review as I plan to watch it sometime this week, and I'll read your review once I've watched!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just started watching the DVR'd episodes so I'm only reading your recaps for those I've seen. I wanted Cavannaugh to be sent home right away for 2 reasons: 1. She was snooty AF, and 2. Her name is Cavannaugh!!

    I had the same initial reaction to Kovid but also grew to like him quickly.

    Sebastion... oh Sebastian.... You know what I'm sayin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Mark
    Yes, I know what you're saying. Hot, cute Latino? Please!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......