Monday, December 14, 2015

Wounded Vet On Islamophobia: A Muslim Blew Me Up. A Muslim Also Saved My Life

Chris Herbert is a British veteran of the Iraq war.

Herbert lost his right leg when his vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb in Basra, Iraq; it was a Muslim bomb that took his leg.

Herbert feels all Muslims are terrorists and he hates them

Or … does he?

He recently posted this note to Facebook, in response to people who think he should be a Muslim-hating, Muslim-blaming, Muslim-fearing human being when actually he sees everything as it is:
“Getting frustrated by some people expecting racism from me, because I got blown up. Here it is:
Yes. A Muslim man blew me up, and I lost my leg.
A Muslim man also lost his arm that day wearing a British Uniform.
A Muslim medic was in the helicopter that took me from the field
A Muslim surgeon performed the surgery that saved my life
A Muslim Nurse was part of the team that helped me when I returned to the UK
A Muslim Healthcare Assistant was part of the team that sorted out my day to day needs in rehabilitation when I was learning to walk
A Muslim taxi driver gave me a free ride the first time I went for a beer with my Dad after I came home.
A Muslim doctor offered my Dad comfort and advice in a pub, when he didn’t know how to deal with my medicines and side effects.
Contrary to that, 
A white brit spat in my girlfriends face for 'fucking a cripple when you could have me [him]'
A White brit pushed my wheelchair away from a lift so he could use it first.
A White brit screamed at my Dad for parking in a disabled bay when I was in the services coming home
(Although, a lot of people helped in my recovery! I don’t hate white brits either! hahaha)
Point is, fuck off. I know who I dislike, and I know who I don’t. I know who I appreciate, and I know who I don’t. If you want to hate an entire race of men and women for the actions of a few dickheads feel free, but don't push your views on me, thinking I am an easy target because one douchebag decided it was my day to die.
Blaming all Muslims for the actions of groups like Daeshe and the Taliban, is like blaming all Christians for the actions of the KKK or Westboro Baptist Church. 
Get a grip of your lives, hug your family and get back to work.”
Take people as they are, and not for the actions of others who look like them.

Not all Muslims are terrorists; not all white men are gun-toting, church-shooting, Planned Parenthood-attacking terrorists.

Get a grip of your lives, hug your family and get back to work.

And thank the people like Chris Herbert who fought for you, and thanks all the doctors and medics and surgeons and cabbies who helped you out … no matter how they look.

7 comments:

  1. Well he seems kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris Herbert has it right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful, articulate, no bullshitting - and completely right!

    I hadn't known those details of his confrontations with white Brits. Perhaps because they are so unpalatable it's been thought better that we shouldn't be told about them. But they feed directly into the context of, and underline, his present laudable attitude - and brave too, though that's why it's sad that it's so rare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teared up when I read this on the Beeb and I just teared up again; London stands up for Muslims too; notice on the Underground "TFL (Transport for London) welcomes everybody of ALL faiths except Donald Trump The nylon-haired tosser can fuck off"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read a lot about Herbert lately and he has my respect, admiration, and gratitude. I wonder if his words have made a difference in anyone's thoughts. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......