Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Architecture Wednesday: Mountain Retreat

Well, after a week or so in my rustic pied-à-terre in Paris, and then another week in my glamorous Life Loft in Hollywood, I really needed some 'me' time, and where better to find oneself than in this secluded, and somewhat small--it's just about 1,000 square feet--Mountain retreat in New Zealand?

Mountain Retreat is a stunning home located in Closeburn Station, Queenstown, New Zealand, set high in the mountains with views of Lake Wakatipu.

But it isn't some slapped together cabin in the middle of nowhere; it's a stone and wood and glass and concrete modern home in the middle of nowhere.

The colors and textures of the cladding integrate the building into the gravel tracks of the surrounding hillsides and exposed rock faces and scree slopes of the alpine environment. 
It doesn't take over the environment as much as it nestles into the landscape.

Nestled. That's what I needed this week.

source

3 comments:

  1. Well, if one wants to be in the secluded woods this is the way to go! It has a feel of a good game of naked twister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:43 PM

    This is really cute, but I would miss my cable box dearly if I were here long term. But for a second home it's perfect. Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to say anything about hobbits... nope, nope, nope.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......