Friday, April 05, 2013

I Didn't Say It ....


Thomas Roberts, openly gay MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts, on the importance of marriage equality:
"I don't think that we would have gone for a civil union. Getting married in the fall was something very personal, and very incredible! ... It's only made our lives better...The otherness, it's time for that to go away....If the Supreme Court gets rid of DOMA and goes ahead and strikes Prop 8 out of the way, is that going to get rid of homophobia in this country? No. But it does make the government stand up to appreciate the fact that the LGBT community exists in this country. We're good taxpaying Americans..."

That’s what equality does, and it’s good for everyone.

Willie Nelson, on marriage equality:
"For same-sex couples, taxes are different, benefits are different, survivor benefits are different. It's crazy...I've known straight and gay people all my life...I can't tell the difference. People are people where I came from..It's about human rights. As humanity, we've come through so many problems from the beginning to here. I guess it finally had to come around to this. This is just another situation, another problem. We'll work it out and move on. We'll look back and say it was crazy that we ever even argued about this...I never thought of  marriage as something only for men and women."

I’d expect this from Willie, who has written and sung songs about gay cowboys and such, but it’s still refreshing to hear another country music star—along with Carrie Underwood—come out for equality.

Marie Osmond, on marriage equality:
"The God that I believe in is a god of love, not fear. I don't tell my children if you're not good you're going to Hell. I tell my children that God will be there for them when they struggle. That's the God I believe in...I believe in [my lesbian daughter's] civil rights, as a mother. I think my daughter deserves everything that she desires in life. She's a good girl. She's a wonderful child. I don't think God made one color flower. I think he made many..."

Thanks to Marie, for stepping out of her family’s anti-equality shadow. Her brother Donny is rabidly anti-marriage equality, and members of her family recently hosted a ‘traditional marriage’ fundraiser in Utah.
Nice to know that not all Osmond’s live in the past.

A$AP Rocky, rapper, on marriage equality:
"For me, growing up in Harlem and then migrating down to SoHo and the Lower East Side and chillin' down there and making that my stomping ground ... That was a big thing, because I'm from Harlem, and downtown is more artsy and also more open-minded. So I got the best of both worlds. It was like being on the streets and then being in school at the same time, and I tried to keep my hands in everything just so I wasn't missing out on any fun. I just always wanted to be knowledgeable of my whereabouts, my surroundings, and what was going on with our generation ... So now that I'm here and I've got a microphone in my hand and about 6,000 people watching me, I need to tell them how I feel. For instance, one big issue in hip-hop is the gay thing. It's 2013, and it's a shame that, to this day, that topic still gets people all excited. It's crazy. And it makes me upset that this topic even matters when it comes to hip-hop, because it makes it seem like everybody in hip-hop is small-minded or stupid—and that's not the case. We've got people like Jay-Z. We've got people like Kanye. We've got people like me. We're all prime examples of people who don't think like that. I treat everybody equal, and so I want to be sure that my listeners and my followers do the same if they're gonna represent me. And if I'm gonna represent them, then I also want to do it in a good way."

And, as homophobic as country music can be, rap is even more so. Which makes it all the better that rappers are coming out for marriage equality, and coming out, period.

Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots tight end, on having a gay teammate:
"I got this question before, about a year ago, and I basically will say the same answer that I did a year ago. You've got to accept the player. Everyone has their own ways to live their life and as long as he's respecting me, keeping distance, respecting myself, I'll respect him back. If he's being a great teammate and he's a guy on the field doing a great job, well then you've got nothing to complain about. He's another teammate and another friend …. that's all you've got to ask for."

No matter what you do in life, you're going to work alongside gay folks, and, really, does that matter? Does being straight matter?
No. Just do the job, and do it well.

Christopher Clemons, Seattle Seahawks defensive end, on the other hand, Tweeted his opposition to the idea of gay players on football:
Who on Gods earth is this person saying he's coming out of the closet in the NFL? ...  If you didn't do it when you were in high school or college then why wait til your in the NFL? Whoever he is he didn't just start ... I'm not one to judge anyone because that's there personal preference. ... it doesn't matter how good they are. That will immediately separate a lockerroom and divide a team ... I'm not against anyone but I think it's a selfish act.  They just trying to make themselves bigger than the team … No one said anything about be a homophobic. I just think something's should be left at home."

First off, Clemons, it’s ‘their’ not ‘there’. And it’s ‘you’re’ not ‘your’.
Second off, it isn’t a preference because preference implies choice, and, are you saying you chose to be straight because you didn’t like being gay which implies maybe you tried it?
Third off, you are being a bigot and a homophobe when you talk separate locker-rooms.
And finally, since when does knowing about a player’s sexual orientation make them bigger than the game. It’s all about the game; no one cares at all that you say you’re straight when you’re playing, so who would care that a player is gay?


Chris Kluwe, Minnesota Vikings punter and outspoken LGBT-marriage equality advocate, on an NFL player coming out:
“Instead of looking at an openly gay player as a distraction, ask yourselves—how much better would that player play if he didn't have to worry about hiding a core part of who he is? How many more sacks would he have, free of that pressure? How many more receptions? How many more rushing yards? Fans, media—will an openly gay player be a distraction? Only if you make it one. Only if you insist on denying someone the freedom to live his own life on his own terms, instead of under someone else's control. Stop worrying about who a player dates; worry about his completion percentage, or tackles for loss, or return average. I can promise you, on Sundays the only thing he's worried about is lining up and doing his job to the best of his ability, or else he's going to be cut (just like any of us). Players—Those of you worried about a gay teammate checking out your ass in the shower, or hitting on you in the steam room, or bringing too much attention to the team—I have four simple words for you. Grow the f*** up. This is our job, we are adults, so would you kindly act like one?”

Leave it to Kluwe to just flat-out say it: Grow the f*** up.


Connor Barwin, Philadelphia Eagles linebacker, dismissing Christopher Clemons’ remarks that a player coming out would be a "selfish" distraction.
"I don't think it would be selfish. As a heterosexual man, I can't speak to what it must feel like to be gay in the NFL. I don't know what somebody goes through. I imagine it’s very hard to go through. So I would support that teammate no matter what. I don't think it would be a distraction. And even if it was, the NFL has distractions in every locker room. You would work through it like anything else. If somebody had a problem with a teammate being gay, they would realize very quickly that it was something they could get over."

Barwin, who has an openly gay older brother, makes another very valid point.
As a team you work to get over your distractions. You get over it. 

Sue Everhart, Georgia GOP chairwoman, on how straight people would pretend to be gay just to get marriage benefits:
"You may be as straight as an arrow, and you may have a friend that is as straight as an arrow. Say you had a great job with the government where you had this wonderful health plan. I mean, what would prohibit you from saying that you’re gay, and y’all get married and still live as separate, but you get all the benefits? I just see so much abuse in this it’s unreal. I believe a husband and a wife should be a man and a woman, the benefits should be for a man and a woman. There is no way that this is about equality. To me, it’s all about a free ride."

Seriously, how stupid is this woman?
Um, Sue? Dingbat? If a straight man wanted to have marriage benefits he could just get married to a woman like he’s always been able to do.
Seriously, straight people pretending to be gay for the benefits of marriage when they are already entitled to the benefits of marriage just by the virtue of their heterosexuality?
If this is the GOP no wonder they are so $%@#ed up.

6 comments:

  1. that woman from GA doesn't have a brain in her perky blond head.

    I think willie nelson says it best in this set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher Clemmons "I just think it is something that should just be left at home"....in other words "stay in the closet so I can continue to exercise power over you by discounting you as a full human being." F--k you Christopher Clemmons, it ain't happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This stuff about a gay teammate checking our ass in the shower fear, WTF? Do you have any idea of how many strange women have looked at my nether regions the past few months since I've been dealing with my prostate cancer? And it isn't over yet. For God's sake football players, get some balls or did steroids completely shrivel your balls?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue Everhart, look in one ear and see daylight through the other ear. My God, just how stupid are these asswipes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never played football but The Engineer and GB did in high school and you can bet they had gay teammates. And they say, so what?

    ReplyDelete
  6. a lot of good and bad quotes

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......