Thursday, January 19, 2012

Architecture Wednesday Thursday: To Downsize, Or Not To Downsize

Every so often I tell Carlos that i miss Miami--I do because, while absence makes the heart grow fonder, it also makes one forget the snarling traffic and the crazy weather.
But there are also times when i miss our house in Miami. It wasn't a large house, and didn't even have a large yard. Our Smallville home, by comparison, is roughly twice the size with a yard more than twenty-times the size. Now, that doesn't mean out Smallville yard is ginormous, it just means the Miami yard was minuscule.
And smaller houses and yards are easy to care for, easier to clean and maintain.
But, um, this might be taking downsizing to an extreme.
The Japanese-based Architecture firm Mizuishi Atelier Architects have designed a small house with a total area of 313 sq.ft. That's roughly a quarter of the size of our Miami home with an even smaller yard. But this home is amazingly open, feels very spacious and id flooded with light. This could work...except it's in Japan and, well, there's that whole I don't speak Japanese thing.
Maybe they could box it up and mail it to me? 


source

7 comments:

  1. Love it! Our condo in Boston is 497 square feet, and more than enough space for the two of us. I wouldn't mind transporting it to Miami though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm speechless. My mind keeps telling me that it's impossible that all that space is inside that tiny exterior. I'm a little freaked out. Hold me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, these architect blogs you write remind me of when you we're a kid and would design houses on paper. I do like the houses you find. Usually interesting and different, like this little thing, which I find adorable and I love because it is light and airy and I hate cleaning. See if you can order 2 for the price of 1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those photos sure do LOOK like more than 313 square feet. I live in a 3370 square foot house and often think about down-sizing, especially while cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:55 PM

    On the inside it looks nice but from the outside it would look like a sewing machine if a wind chime hung from underneath that second floor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all we need to establish that I am a big gay boy. I wouldn't live in this house...I would have to put it on!!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......