Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Tale of Two Americas

I think most of us can safely say that we were raised to do the right thing. I mean, isn't that what parents teach their kids? i know that's one of the lessons I got from my Mom and Dad: do the right thing. Play nice. Be fair. Sure, there are times we forget to do it, when we're rushing though our day, or we've had a tough time at work, but it's always there in the back of our minds, ready to come forward when we need reminding.
That's what happened in Boston this week, as the runners closed in on the finish line and the unthinkable happened. As the bombs exploded people began running, but not all of them were running away.Quite a few were running toward the explosions, helping people up, and pulling away fences so First responders could more easily reach the victims. They were doing what was right.
I saw pictures of men carrying victims down the street; women helping children who were crying. All over the web you could see one hand reaching out to help, and another hand reaching up to be helped. Playing nice, and doing the right thing.
In the midst of that terror, and in the hours that followed, I tried to focus more on those who helped rather than those who caused this because that's what i think America is: we help those who've been hurt, or beaten, or attacked. We get there first and lend a hand.
So I was sort of bursting with that patriotic pride on Monday afternoon, into the night and all day Tuesday when I read the stories of heroism and bravery and compassion and doing the right thing.
Unfortunately, though, that bubble burst Wednesday when I learned that the Senate--our elected officials, remember--had voted against expanding background checks before guns are sold. Yes, they decided that it isn't necessary to check who is buying guns, and how many and where, because, you know, we don't have a gun problem in this country.
Forty-six members of the US Senate decided that the Gun Lobby, the NRA, matter more to them than the lives of Americans, young and old. Forty-six Senators don't think that we just need to be more careful to whom we sell guns. Forty-six Senators slipped back inside the pocket of the NRA.
Think what might have happened had those forty-six senators been there on Monday. How fast they might have run to get in their cars and go home? How swiftly they might have jumped over the bodies of the victims and run to save themselves first. Think about that the next time you stand in a voting booth and one of these forty-six names is up for re-election:

6 comments:

  1. Bob,
    Thank you for posting this. I was going to post a similar one, especially highlighting the cowardly and selfish Democrats who voted against the bill. On "Morning Joe" this morning they also listed the names and pictures of the senators who voted against this weapons bill. All those who voted against this bill should hang their heads in shame. By their vote that have proved that they are more interested in their own selfish interests by not being primaried out of their job by NRA lobby back candidates.

    Ron
    Retired in Delaware

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of my two senators standing up and saying FUCK YOU to the NRA!

    doesn't surprise me that the pro-NRA people are all southern/western senators. asshats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. I've already emailed my two Senators my disgust, not that it'll make much of a difference being that my state is so red.

    I basically asked them why they didn't think it was important for criminals and terrorist to have to show an ID to purchase a gun...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dave
    I already emailed mine, too, but, well, its South Carolina and they are both cowardly asshats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a feeling they need to craft their bills provision by provision. That might work better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:58 PM

    I can count on my state's senators on doing the right thing. No worries here.

    On the other hand, there's a group of Senators from a specific part of the country who are always on the wrong side of history.

    I have doubts a wake up call like one of their own children getting shot up by a domestic terrorist -- yes, that's what they are -- would make them change their mind.

    Their attachment to the NRA's teat is that strong.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......