Saturday, March 24, 2012

Springing At Casa Bob y Carlos

Spring has sprung in Smallville and all the plants are blooming, so I thought I'd take you on a tour of our yard. Please, no flash photography during our excursion.....
Carlos is my Mexican Gardener,
and he rescued this plant from the front yard a few years back.
Now, it's taking over the sunroom.
I'm getting kind of Little Shop of Horrors about it........
This is a bonsai we bought ion Coconut Grove about eight years back,
and it's doing quite nicely in Smallville.
We can see this tree from the breakfast table
and all week long the pink blossoms have been opening and opening.
It's a great way to start the day.
I have no idea what kind of tree this is, but we have about ten or so in our yard.
It blooms white flowers in the spring, then it leafs out.
In the fall it has the most gorgeous red and orange leaves, and then it sprouts red berries.
Wisteria blooms in the neighbors yard by the back fences,
but we get to see the show on our side.
I'd like to build an arbor back there, and let the vines drape over it.
A cool place to sit in the Spring.
We had a bit of rain last night, so the yard turned a vibrant green.
Look! A Pocket Dog!
The Popcorn Flower plant.
Funny story: Carlos bought it at a Farmer's Market.
He thought the woman said $17  and he said, 'Yes'
and it turned out to be $70. Carlos isn't allowed
to buy plants any more without adult--and by adult I mean me--supervision.
The azaleas are blooming like mad on the walkway up to Casa Bob y Carlos.
An azalea hedge and some ornamental trees line the fence on the side yard.
These don't bloom every year, but they are now.

14 comments:

  1. omg! it's Audrey!

    Is the mystery tree a dogwood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Audrey, right?

    Nope, the mystery tree isn't a dogwood. Much more delicate than that. We have a huge stand of dogwoods that bloomed a few weeks back, but these trees are just stating now. They don't seem to get as big as a dogwood, but they are gorgeous in every season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:32 PM

    I don't much about gardening but I love the azaleas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Bob, if I lived closer we could start a gardening club and sip mint julets all day. Isn't that what they do all day? Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a lot to keep you busy, looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we looked at flowering trees and azalea plants today!

    your dojo is beautiful!

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. makes me miss home alot. did I ever tell you about the azalea festival and having to dress up like an azalea belle...ahh I love the Carolinas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smallville is beautiful in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great yard! It's terrific. I especially like the popcorn plant. Can you take a few more pics of that. And I really like the elephant too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. How very lovely. I thought the white flowering tree was dogwood too, possibly because they don't do well here in San Francisco and I miss them.

    Putting up a trellis for your neighbor's wisteria to grow on is a sure way to convince them they have to kill it RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! Could the mystery tree(s) be some form of ornamental cherry? I love spring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great!
    We've been having a nice spring here on the blue ridge too..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:53 PM

    Hello
    The pink flowered tree looks like a Yoshino Cherry and the "popcorn bush" is A Viburnum Chinese Snowball. The other tree does look like a dogwood but the trunk and bark don't look right. It also could be a cherry tree with white blooms instead of pink.
    Gladys

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......