Friday, March 30, 2012

In Kansas, God Hates Fags

I am not a religious man. Big surprise, eh? yeah, I know, not so much. I mean, I do have my own spiritual beliefs, but they don't mesh with any one specific religion. See I learned a long time ago that, for many people, religion is a tool to make themselves feel better, and mostly by putting down anyone who doesn't share their beliefs.

Judge not lest ye be judged? Not so much, I've discovered.

Love thy neighbor as thyself? Only if the neighbor is exactly the same as you.

And, if I needed further proof of the detrimental aspects of organized religion--and I don't--I need look no further than the Kansas legislature.

Just this week, those group of asshats that the people chose to send to the capital to represent their wishes, advanced legislation to allow a religious defense to discriminate against gays.
Yup, hate in the name of god. That's what Kansas wants.

Two representatives from Lawrence, Kansas, attacked the the Kansas Preservation of Religious Freedom Act as a blatant attempt to destroy the city of Lawrence's anti-discrimination ordinance that includes sexual orientation.

Representative Barbara Ballard, the Democrat from Lawrence, said, “I am very proud of my Lawrence community, and I’m very proud of the ordinance that we passed. Discrimination is an injustice. It is an injustice to everyone.”

And House Minority Leader Paul Davis, also a Democrat from Lawrence, said, “I don’t believe it is ever right to discriminate against someone because of their sexual orientation.”
Lance Kinzer
But Representative Lance Kinzer, a Republican, of course, and foot solider in the culture war, defended the bill--it's his bill, by the way--saying it was meant to make sure government could not infringe on an individual’s religious beliefs: “Free exercise of religion is at the core of who we are as a people.”

Which begs the question, Lance, since when does free exercise of religion allow someone to discriminate against people? I mean, that whole judging business? The love for your neighbor? You're just gonna throw all that out because it doesn't jibe with your anti-LGBT hatred? God would not be happy with you, Lance. In fact, I think she'd be downright pissed off at you.

See, according to Lance, an apartment owner in Kansas could cite his religious beliefs to fight a complaint if he refused to rent to a same-sex couple. An employer could fire someone for being gay.

So effing Christ-like. So Kansas, I guess, because I'm not hearing any uproar.
But, while we're discussing, here's my take: if, and I've said this a hundred times, your religious belief is that I am an abomination and will be spending eternity in Hell for being gay, go for it. You're free to think that way. You free to say that. What you aren't free to do is discriminate against me in  housing, employment, or any other walk of life just because your tiny addled brain says that's what god wants.

Because she doesn't.

I couldn't care less if you all wanna go to church on Sunday and sing your hymns to the baby Jeebus and then come out of worship and tell me you hate me.
See, I don't discriminate against you.

I don't believe it that.

4 comments:

  1. Not arguing the anti-discrimination ordinances (they are needed) but I really think Lance Kinzer ought not to worry - who would want to associate with *him*?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You asked "Lance, since when does free exercise of religion allow someone to discriminate against people?"

    It does when the underlying message becomes perverted by a power structure and used as a spiritual and emotional bludgeon to control people. A good thing to remember and contemplate next week. For christians, the question to ask oneself is "Where is the gospel message in all of this?" Frankly, I don't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now see, if there was a God (I don't believe so) it would be funny if tornadoes wiped out every community that voted for this stupid bill. So long as our LGBT brothers and sisters get out first of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why does this moron think there is a need for a state act defending the freedom of religion? Has he never heard of the Constitution? Actually, he probably hasn't.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......