Friday, April 23, 2010

PR7EP13: End Of The Line

Finale!
Woo hoo.
Or not.
This season hasn't been as fun as season's past. Not enough characters; challenges we've seen before; nothing really new. Of course, there were standouts: my girl Big Gay Anthony was a joy. Emilio seemed like the nice talented guy until, as the season went on, he became the arrogant beeyotch. Mila started out doing simple black-and-white colorblocking and by the end of the season she.....yeah, no change. Even the biggest shock of the season.......Maya is leaving......was really a snooze. Except that she became forever known--to me at any rate--as the Sarah Palin of PR7.
But, we did have a show last night, and we did see some fashion, so let's take a stroll through the three finalists and six of their looks that I loved, liked, or loathed.


Mila

Wow. Black and white; though she did, as she so proudly announced, throw some color into the mix.
Aubergine.
WTF? Aubergine? That isn't a color as much as it's what happens to black or gray when they get washed out. Aubergine. It's like going to someone's house for an elegant dinner and they serve up roast beef and mash potatoes and, just for kicks, eggplant.
That look on the left, Pure Mila. And it's a'ight. But the neck seems oddly bare and the model seems as unamused as I.
The look on the left? Lesbian bike messenger. 'Nuff said.

Heidi flipped over the white T with the black stripes. I almost flipped out. You can get that exact T at any Limited in the nation. Hell, I bet they have a whole freakin' rack of white T's with wacky black stripes at the Belk's in Smallville.
And looky there, on the right! Say it with me: OOOOOOOh-bear-zhine!!
Now say this: Boooooooooooo-ring.

And nothing says style like a mini-skirt with black patent leather opera gloves. Actually, what is says is, No.
The little silver number, which, let's face it, is really gray, which is really a mix of black and white, looks kind of kicky and fun. But those shiny thing-a-mah-bob, doo-hickey, jiggy-mah-giggy things, make the hem look crooked and seeing that striped lining makes me think her slip is showing.
Mila's collection was pure Mila. Which is to say it was nice, well-made, color-blocked, and black-and-white. Add it all up, throw in some aubergine, and it comes out Auf'd.

Emilio

Emilio was the nice guy turned arrogant f**k. He had talent, and we knew it, but, somewhere mid-season, he began to know it. Perhaps it was after the week he made the macrame-bolt-kini and wasn't Auf'd--and he should have been--that he thought he was invincible.
Not so much.
That puke green coat was his favorite new color. Note to Emilio: if the color resembles anything you might find in a baby diaper, or coming out of one of your animal's mouths, it isn't good for the runway. And your textile creation, once again using your name [E-Sosa] make me scream E-Nuff.
The red number? Cute. Chic. Been done. In the 1940s.

Emilio's Blue Period.
That jacket is fabulous. The pants and shoes, too. But it looks so modern in a sea of seen-it-before that it seemed out of place. You always hear Korange talk about cohesion; Emilio could have used some of that.
Like that hot tight blue number. It looks hot, the model looks hot. But it isn't anything special. It's a turtle-neck dress.
Wow! Creative.

Ah, the simple black suit with yet another rendition of the E-Sosa print. I don't know how old any of you are, but who here remembers Angel Flight pants? Yeah, so does Emilio. I flashed back on Travolta in Saturday Night Fever in this number, and woke up feeling Sunday Morning Embarrassed.
And then Emilio had his WTF moment.
He creates these very structured, tailored, tight, form-fitting homages to the past, and then he sends down this flowing, sexy, glittery thing. I seriously thought a model, starving to death, had accidentally stumbled into the tent from another show and walked the runway looking for anything to eat.
Heidi? Do you have a pretzel?
This just didn't fit with the rest of Emilio's collection, which Kors and Nina thought looked more like a fashion line than a fashion collection.
And it did remind me of a line.
The end of the line.
Auf'd.

SethAaron

Finally! Fashion. Color. Fun. Drama.
SethAaron took his budget--the same amount given to Emilio and Mila--and he created 24 looks to their 10. Now, of course, he didn't get to show all 24, but he created two-and-a-half times as much fashion, and yet his looks expensive, polished, creative, and fabulous.
That suit is amazing. The trim detail. The pattern. The pants. The shoes. It's rock-n-roll secrtary. Take a letter. Bitch!
And, note to Mila. That number on the right is how one does retro and makes it current. My mother had a dress like that back in the day, but Seth Aaron made it fresh and fun. This was my favorite of his.

And then there's plaid!
Something old becomes something new and chic and, to quote Nina, "sophisticated." I never thought of plaid as sexy until this. I never thought of plaid as dangerous until this. It looked hot and it scared me; I liked it.
And then to have it followed by the pants with the leather pieces and plaid insets, with another fabulous SethAaron coat, well, I began crossing my fingers that he would win.

Sometimes a big black shiny bow doesn't work. Believe me, I've tried. But here it does. The dress with the bow and the leggings and the shoes--well, it did come close to being costume-y--but it really says who SethAaron is as a designer.
Until that last number.
They usually call the last one The Showstopper. This should be called a HeartStopper because mine almost did. This was SethAaron's WTF moment. With those bubble things, and the leather, and the model stomp, it looked like the dress was falling down as she walked. This was total costume, for a circus themed horror film.
Not good, but put it with all the rest and SethAaron comes out on top. And he turned out to be a nice family guy despite the Adam Lambert Grandfather hair.
So, I was pleased by the outcome. I thought the right person one and I don't often think that after The Last Runway.A nice end to a nice season. not a fun season, Not a thrilling season. But nice.
And you all know I don't really like nice. I want my bitches and my divas and my queens and my inept designers and the ones with no taste.
You better bring it next time.

3 comments:

  1. Anthony should have his own show~
    he is witty heeheelariOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seth Aaron's collection was amazing. I was sure he wouldn't win because I loved it so much. Glad he did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. >Adam Lambert Grandfather hair.<

    THAT was the phrase I was searching for last night when we saw that hair-do! LOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......