Monday, November 30, 2009

I've Got Your Sin Right Here

People wonder how asshats and so-called pastors like Phillip Lee [see story below] are able to convince young gay men and women that they can change. And people are confused as to how someone can feel such shame in who they are that they actively seek out charlatans who profess to know the secrets to turning the gay back to straight. Where do these folks get such notions?

Well, for a start, let's take a look at Osby Davis, mayor of Vallejo, California, who is quoted by the New York Times as saying, “They’re [gay people] committing sin and that sin will keep them out of heaven. But you don’t hate the person. You hate the sin that they commit.”

Hmmmm, could this be one of the reasons that parents of gay teenagers seek out phonies like Phillip Lee, and any number of other ex-gay ministries? Maybe if people learned to open their minds and their hearts, and close their mouths, we wouldn't be faced with such a dilemma. We wouldn't be faced with the number of suicides of young gay people who have been told everywhere from parents to preachers to politicians that they are a sin; we wouldn't be faced with more stories of children brutalizing children because they are assumed to be gay, or because they are, in fact, gay. Quit calling it a sin, if you want to save lives. That's a good starting point.

Meanwhile, back in Vallejo, gay rights activists are calling for Davis to be censured for his remarks and Davis himself is backtracking; he's rolled out that old "taken out of context" excuse for his bile, and also says, “I have worked hard to unite Vallejo and I will continue to do so. To those I have offended by my comments, I apologise....I care for the entire community and my desire is to build consensus on our diversity. Let me be clear, I have and will stand against hatred, discrimination and divisiveness wherever they exist.”

Unless you're gay, but then you're going to Hell and divine souls like Osby Davis will never have to see you again.

1 comment:

  1. What is Davis's problem? My grandmother always taught me that if I didn't have anything nice to say about anyone, or to anyone, just shut the hell up! Yeah, direct quote, she was awesome!

    So, if I am to follow her advice I am done, but hellz no. Why do people feel that gay people are fine to treat like second class citizens????? Grrrr! Boils up the blood it do!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......