Saturday, August 08, 2009

Fear Factory


I saw this over at Edder's I Don't Care For Your Tone and Lou's The Quiet Life, and thought I'd give it a shot.

Fears. We all have 'em. Some extremely rational, others......not so much.

These are some of mine:
  • Cancer.
  • Bugs--saw one the other night and I had to get Carlos. To be fair, if it had been a lizard or snake he would have come screaming for me and I would have been just fine.
  • Looking over the edge of a high HIGH HIGH rooftop. I get all twingy in my knees. I love looking at the world from a high place but not.....looking....down.
  • People throwing up. The sight, the smell, the sound, sends me running to the Porcelain God myself.
  • Motorcycles. I've never been on one, but I always think of falling off one and scraping my legs badly.
  • Scraping your knees in a fall. My knees are getting all twingy over that, too.
  • Me dying before Carlos or Carlos dying before me.
  • My imagination--it can be quite gruesome.
  • Steps--because of the recent ankle twisting I loathe them now.
  • Tornadoes and Hurricanes--the 100+ MPH winds. You can't see wind, so when it gets to roaring and you're seeing pieces of your fence flying down the road, it gets a wee bit scary.
  • Other people's blood or injuries. I am a wee bit too empathetic.
  • The Octomom on TV. Why?
  • Computer troubles because I do not speak the language.
  • Public Speaking. In 8th grade I had to give a twenty minute presentation and I worked on it at home, timing it to just twenty minutes and not one second more. That day, in class, i stood up and began speaking. Four-and-a-half minutes later I was done. I don't think anyone has spoken that fast while trembling and sweating and teetering.
  • Suffocating. That feeling that. You.Just.Can't.Breathe.
  • Being buried alive. In a tiny little wooden box six feet under with the air slowly being used up. Yeah, not fun.
  • Adam Sandler movies because.....well, just because.
  • Racists. because there is no convincing them of their stupidity.
  • Birthers. See racists.
  • Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan. That's all.

7 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at the public speaking one, because it's so true! We had to take a speech class in high school, and I did NOT enjoy it. My big problem was that I spoke way too fast, and it was really hard for me to slow down. Ugh, I still get the heebie jeebies when I think about that class! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:07 AM

    One of my biggies, having seen people suffer and die from it is glioblastoma. That's a nasty one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buried alive - that is scary. I never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good list! I will look at you in a different light now.

    Here are a few of mine:

    Those trenches in the ocean. I can't even think about them or look at pictures.

    That my car will explode if someone throws out a cigarette in a vehicle ahead of me while we're driving.

    Outliving my children or grandchildren.

    Being incapacitated or an invalid. I want to be able to take care of myself as long as I live and want to die before that happens.

    Water skiing

    Those same idiots you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh....suffocating. Good one. That's scary.

    Thanks for sharing your college vomit story. I've never in my life held anyone's hair back and I certainly never won Mother of the Year, especially because when Darenevil was about 9 yrs old she suffered a nasty bout of food poisoning. I cowered in the corner of the living room while my partner at the time comforted her and cleaned up quite the mess.

    I'm a bad person. Oh. And I also think movies should have vomit warnings on them, like swearing or nudity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with that, Edder. I used to tell students if they had to throw up to rush to the restroom immediately and never do it in my classroom. I did clean up after my son when he vomited a few times when he was little, but that's it.

    It's way too gross!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you have a LOT of fears!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......