Thursday, June 28, 2018

Bobservations

There are times when I fell the universe conspire against me and last Sunday night was no exception.

Somebody up there doesn’t like me.

It all began when we had a bad storm come through without warning. The winds whipped, the rains fell, a tree came down across the driveway; and the power went out at about 8PM.

Carlos and I sat in romantic battery-powered candlelight for a couple of hours before deciding to just go to bed. I had not been feeling well …a Summer cold exacerbated by the fact that our AC broke one day last week and the house was 91 degrees inside when we got home; that was an easy fix, and all was cool the next day.

But now, on Sunday, I have a fever, the power is out, there is no AC and no ceiling fans, and I can’t sleep. I’m thinking about the food in the refrigerator and how it’s going bad with each hour without power; I’m hearing to dog whimper because he needs to go out; I hear Carlos snoring, fast asleep and wonder how long it will take him to stop if I hold a pillow over his face; I think about how late it’s getting and how I’ll be so tired the next day.

In other words, I can’t sleep. At all.

Around 2AM I get up and get a washcloth; I dampen it with cold water and get back into bed, laying it across my forehead to beat the heat in my head. It’s starting to work … I’m getting tired, my mind is not racing, I don’t hear the dog, I don’t care about the fridge. I …am … just … about …to … fall … asleep ….

The power comes back on and all the lights that went off are now back on and for some reason the stereo received connected to the TV has come on and is blaring that static noise at a volume you might hear on an airplane runway. I bolt upright and jump out of bed. I run through the house turning off lights and turning off receivers and quieting the dog.

In the distance, down the hallway, I see a shadow of the man I love, rubbing his eyes, and asking:
“Is the power back on?”
I reach for that pillow.
Sometimes I just have to shake my head … twenty-three-year-old Kansas man, Ryan Malek, was arrested and charged with lewd and lascivious behavior for his repeated attempts to have sex with …

… the tailpipe of a parked car.

Local police answered a 911 call about a man underneath a vehicle and arrived on scene to find Malek trying to put his penis into the tailpipe of a car.

Malek, whose blood alcohol content topped out at more than four times the legal limit, continued trying to have sex with the tailpipe in the presence of officers until they used a taser to stop the vehicular sexual assault.

Like I said, I’m shaking my head.
In a Tuesday Thought I mentioned #PermitPatty, AKA Alison Ettel, the woman who called police on 8-year-old Jordan Rogers, a San Francisco girl, hoping to sell water to baseball fans in front of her apartment building.

Erin Austin, Jordan’s mother, captured it on her cell phone and posted it to Instagram. Ettel, who can be seen on her phone calling police, tries to hide when she realizes she’s being recorded.

Now known virally as #PermitPatty, Ettel has been described as not unlike so-called #BBQBecky, the woman who called police on a black family having a cookout in an Oakland park.

Ettel claims she politely asked Jordan to sell the water more quietly:
“Please, I’m trying to work. You’re screaming, you’re yelling.”
But then why not call the police for disturbing the peace? Why call the police because Jordan was selling water?

Oh yeah, racism.
Poor Sarah Huckleberry Sanders. The White House Press Secretary Liar, says she was asked to leave the Red Hen restaurant in Virginia, because …
“Last night I was told by the owner of Red Hen in Lexington, VA to leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left. Her actions say far more about her than about me. I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so”
Awful; but now she knows how gay couples feel when someone won’t bake them a cake for their wedding … something her boss endorses.

Now she knows how it feels to be a transgender American and told you are not allowed to serve in the military …something her boss endorses.

Now she knows how it feels to be Muslim in America, Mexican in America, and Black in America and work for a man who thinks those folks are less than.

Take a seat, Sarah, there’s always Chick-fil-A.

Stephanie Wilkinson, owner of the Red Hen, explains why she booted Huckleberry: anti-gay and anti-trans bias in this White House.

Several Red Hen employees are gay and knew Sanders has defended Trump’s desire to bar transgender people from the military. Wilkinson asked them to tell her what to do and they all agreed she should be asked to leave.

And Wilkinson says she’d do it again.

Now, to be fair, I am no fan of any discrimination, but when you work for such a racist, transphobic, homophobic, anti-Muslim boss, you kinda get what you deserve.
Remember when Ivanka _____ Tweeted about how much of an ally she was to the LGBTQ community?

Yeah, that was a lie. I mean, go figure.

Last week Complicit gave a $50,000 personal donation to Pastor Jack Graham of the Prestonwood Baptist Church; Graham is a member of _____’s Religious Advisory Council and has a long history of anti-LGBT activism:

In 2014, Graham worked to repeal a non-discrimination ordinance in Plano, Texas.

In 2015, Graham lashed at out the Supreme Court for marriage equality.

In 2016, just before the election, Graham stood by after the “pussy groping” remarks.

In 2017, following the deadly “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Graham stood by _____ even after Hair Furor claimed that there were “fine people” among the white nationalists.

And now he’s got Ivanka’s support.

Ivanka? Kindly fuck off.
Womp. Womp.

Former _____ campaign manager Corey Lewandowski has been dropped by his speaker’s bureau after dismissing the story of a 10-year-old girl with Down syndrome who was reportedly separated from her mother after crossing the border illegally.

After his idiotic remarks, Leading Authorities, Inc., one of DC’s top speaker’s bureaus, severed ties with Lewandowski and his name no longer appears on the bureau’s website.

Womp.Womp.
Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane is rich and outspoken, and works for Fox. But that didn’t stop him from taking a swing at Fox News after Tucker Carlson had advised viewers not to believe anything they hear or see on a rival networks’ news program about the separation of immigrant families and to believe that Fox News is always telling the truth.

MacFralane Tweeted:
“This is fringe shit, and it’s business like this that makes me embarrassed to work for this company.”
And then he put his money where his mouth is and donated $2 million to support NPR’s Collaborative Journalism Network and another $500,000 to NPR’s membership station in Los Angeles, KPCC.

Nice. Now if he’d just take his show off Fox and hit them in the wallet.
The Cher Show, the musical based on Cher’s life starring three Chers … three Chers … (at different points in her life, is currently trying out in Chicago before heading to Broadway and this week the real Cher.

After the show, a reporter asked what she thought and, well, Cher being Cher, gave her thoughts:
“Some parts of it are really fabulous. We’re going to work on the other parts. In many parts, it was much, much better than I thought it would be. And there were no parts where I wanted to gouge my eyes out. It needs work. I’m not supposed to say that but I don’t care.”
Listen, it’s Cher, bitches, and she ain’t playing. Fix the parts that bored her or face the wrath of Cher and Cher fans.

Consider yourselves warned.
This past weekend we watched Man in An Orange Shirt on PBS’ Masterpiece. It’s the tale of two love stories, sixty years apart, that charts the changes and challenges in gay lives in England—from the era of jail terms to the onset of dating apps. It was beautifully shot, and sweet and sad and heartbreaking and hopeful and, naturally, had some hotties.

Oliver Jackson-Cohen [above]—whom I have featured here before, and who reminds me of a Brit Armie Hammer—played half the love interest in a story set in the days after WWII when being gay was a criminal offense.

The second story starred Julian Morris, below, as the Jackson-Cohen character’s gay grandson and his path through dating apps to finding love with Steven, played by David Gyasi, bottom. 

Like I said, sweet, sad, heartbreaking, hopeful. And hot.

Just sayin’.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Carlos, xoxoxoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm siding with you for once, Bob! You are much kinder than I am. I would've reached for an iron skillet!

    Ryan Malek: This is not how you make Mini Coopers! Was he afraid of going blind if he used his hands? Was the make of the car withheld to protect its identity? This so made my morning!

    Hot menz, always welcome.

    That last tweet, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't condone anyone getting asked to leave a establishment over political beliefs, religion, color race or sexual lifestyle, including this cow. But I only hope she learned a lesson.

    I ADORE Oliver Jackson Cohen. He could bang me in a back alley any day.

    Poor Bob. I sure hope your drama around the house is over and your feeling better. That c arlos cracks me up.

    Thanks is not worth my breath.

    And if I was that car.....I'd sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should have said Ivanka is not worth my breath.

      Delete
  4. Be thankful you don't have the curse of Morpheus: which is when everything, all at the same time or on a rotating basis, starts to hurt as soon as you go to bed...almost EVERY night. And then you worry that you're not getting any sleep, so of course you can't sleep.

    As for Sarah, I don't think one event really gives her the full experience of being discriminated against...it only makes her a "victim" and allows her to whine and use it to incite the deplorables.

    ReplyDelete
  5. “It was a pipe dream”, says my Boy Scout.

    He also wants to know if it was a 4 banger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This week, I've been feeling like the Universe is conspiring against the Universe. So, is the power on?

    Also, I wonder if Ryan Malek KNEW he was trying to have sex with a tailpipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If Sarah and the Orange Idiot's family knew what kitchen staff does to the food of people who annoy them, they'd stay home and cook their own food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. .... what???? Ivanka bedanka lies?

    Wasn't Lewandowski fired from his campaign job? He must really be bad.

    Permit Patty? With the double chin? Human joke.

    Who says tailpipes aren't sexy? I take it the car was in neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that Tweet is EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......