Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Musings


Carlos attended a seminar last week and came home with some stuffed toys. I asked what he wanted to do with them, and he suggested I see if any of my co-workers who have children want one of them. I pulled the toy from the bag, thinking it was a bear; it wasn't.
What are they? I asked.
The Hepatitis-CV virus, he said.
I can't picture mothers putting their children to bed and saying, She just won't go to sleep without her Hep-C.

A woman here in South Carolina suffocated her two children the other day and then strapped them into their car seats and drove the car into the Edisto River because she'd had a fight with her mother. And still people say that gays and lesbians would make terrible parents.

I don't really know much about the Kardashian girls, except to say that i think Khloe's real name is Karl--if you get my meaning.

When I joked with my boss about pulling a Steven Slater on him one day, he said he knew he was the best boss I've ever had. I told him he wasn't even in the Top Ten. I wonder what would happen if he Steven Slaters me?

I watched The Big C last night, with Laura Linney, and laughed a bit about the story of this woman's battle with cancer, until I saw the x-ray of the black spot on the lung. That part hit a little close to home.

How come when Carlos got stung by a Yellow Jacket while mowing the lawn a couple of weeks back, I thought it was bad, but when I got stung TWICE while mowing last week, it was as if the world was coming to an end?

Why is it that the most religious people in this country are the ones trying to keep the Muslim's from building a COMMUNITY CENTER NEAR Ground Zero?

I was single for a long time, and I didn't mind it. I don't mind being alone. But I've been half of Carlos-and-Bob for ten years now and when he goes out of town for three measly days I don't know what to do with myself.

People in Smallvile--Hell, people in South Carolina--always want to know where you're from if you don't have a Southern accent. You don't sound like you from around here, they'll say. And I respond, That's because I graduated from high school.
Aaaah, making friends everywhere.

Of course, after they find out that I'm not from around here, they inevitably ask what brought me here, and I look side-to-side, lower my voice, lean in, and say, Witness Protection Program.
I get a lot of knowing nods.

4 comments:

  1. I'm like that with my partner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know those little disease stuffed animals! Seriously considered some of them for Daughter... when she was sick for 8 months I got into a serious stuffed animal habit for her - the sillier the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I'm one who has done this, those people who ask about not being "from around here" and wonder what brought you there aren't being rude. It's a way of getting to know you. I hope the ones I asked didn't take it some other way because I genuinely wonder what reasons people have for finding Dickson and moving here. It's asked out of curiosity and establishing a conversation for me.

    Btw, I have a Southern accent and a master's degree. I taught English and know grammar. So there, Mr. Friend Maker! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't ever sleep when my hubby is gone. It's like the whole house is just to quiet, the world is just awaiting his return..... Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......