Friday, March 08, 2024

I Didn't Say It

Nick Offerman, actor, at the Independent Spirit Awards, on his storyline in The Last of Us playing a gay character:

“When homophobic hate comes my way and says, ‘Why did you have to make [The Last of Us] a gay story?’ We say, ‘Because you ask questions like that. It’s not a gay story. It’s a love story, asshole.’”

Love is love. It’s that simple.

photo

Dan Rather, former news anchor, on SCOTUS’ taking on Thing 45’s immunity case:

“The fact that the Supreme Court is even considering [Thing 45]’s immunity case is horrific. It should be clear to anyone who cares about democracy that no one is above the law. But while a Supreme Court packed with [Thing 45]’s appointees won’t save us, there is something we all can do: the presidential election is 250 days away. The hard work of keeping American democracy is alive and thriving is up to the voting public. We must redouble our mobilizing, volunteering, knocking on doors, registering and helping others to register in time to vote on November 5. For those who oppose autocratic rule, complacency and apathy are the enemy. Democracy is not a spectator sport. Anyone and everyone can make a difference. Let the work begin.”

Be like Dan.

Speak up; register; CAST A GODDAMNED VOTE.

photo

Jayson Boebert, in a statement about his son the criminal AKA The Apple That Didn’t Fall Far From the Tree:

“Being a father in today’s challenging world can be a heavy task. With the constant bombardment of information and influences from all angles, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and uncertain about the best way to guide your children. The challenges we have experienced, especially in the last few years, with schools being shut down, social shut downs, and the depression that was set in from a mismanaged COVID SHUT DOWN. Despite our best efforts, we will fall short sometimes. As a parent balancing work, family, and personal life while striving to be a good role model for your kids can be incredibly demanding. Moreover, the spotlight of today’s media can magnify and distort even the smallest aspects of your life. It’s disheartening to see your actions or words misrepresented and sensationalized, painting a false picture for the public.”

It's all COVID’s fault says the father who exposed himself to teenage girls while his wife was running around getting arrested herself.

That's the way of Republicans: blame everybody else and accept no responsibility.

photo

Marcia Gay Harden, award-winning actor, crediting her three queer children— Eulala, 25, is nonbinary; Hudson, 19 is gay; and his twin, Julitta, is fluid—with making her an advocate for LGBTQ+ equality:

“I’ve learned an awful lot about gender nonconformity, and I’ve learned a lot about what I was already understanding in my own life, even in high school, my first boyfriend was gay and was too afraid to come out until later. I was already learning a lot about the gay community, but at the time, we spoke more about gay community rather than queer community and I think now the kids talk a lot about the queer community, and it’s much more expansive. It’s much more gender nonconforming. It’s much more embracing, actually … I’m learning on a daily basis about that from all of [my] kids. I got so much hate mail [about] how I'm grooming my kids and all this, that, and the other [but] the response from each one of [my kids] was, ‘Work it, mom. Work it, mom. You’re doing something right if that’s happening.’ Having a child will literally be the greatest masterclass anybody will ever have … and I’ve learned to accept each of them for the beauty that they are and dispel expectation. I’ve learned that at the end of the day, it’s their life. It is their life. I want them to be happy in it.”

That’s how you parent; you listen to your kids, and you love your kids.

It’s not that difficult.

photo

Colin Grafton, figure skater, coming out as gay:

“I told my closest friends; I told the people around me and I eventually told my parents. I was maybe 24 when all that happened. I know there’s a lot of curiosity about my sexual orientation and my love life, but I never actually came out to the public. I guess this is me announcing it to you guys. I was really nervous of … [coming out] to myself. It was like,’ OK, if I come out as gay then people are going to think I’m this or that,’ when in reality the human sexuality spectrum is so vast and it’s just one small part of the person you are. It’s been a long journey but now I am proud of myself and I’m proud of my sexual orientation and I want to let other people know that they should be proud of every part of themselves too, but there is no rush and there’s no pressure to come out. You have to do it on your own terms and in your own time and find that love for yourselves. It’s not an easy thing—it’s a journey and a learning experience.”

But when you do come out, you have a whole new family waiting for you … along with the Official Coming Out Toaster Oven™ and copy of the Gay Agenda.

So, welcome out, Colin.

photo

27 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:15 AM

    the dog's mother
    "It's a love story!"
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what the hell is wrong with love stories, I say!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I must get around to watching that episode of "The Last of Us" sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely and sweet and sad.

      Delete
  3. Did you ever see the video of when Larry Dean, the Scottish comedian came out to his parents? They were very Catholic and he worried about what they would say. His father got up angrily and stormed out of the room. He came back a moment later and slammed a £10 note down in front of his mother. He had lost the bet. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boebert’s a moron.

    And, yes, be like Dan. And like Marcia and Colin Grafton... and Nick. ”It’s not a gay story. It’s a love story, asshole.” So there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick was spot on; I loved his story on The Last of Us.,
      Boebert, and his wife Gropert, take zero responsibility for the criminal way their son tuned out.

      Delete
  5. I love this post. My queer son and daughter have brought so many beautiful people into my life and opened my eyes in so many ways. I feel so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am sure your openness and acceptance and love for your children helped them be open with you and make your life so much richer.
      Love that.

      Delete
  6. Good to see Offerman stand up that way, The Last of Us was a super big hit, which must have truly pissed off conservatives. Rather's right. Marcia's a super Mom. And Boebert? Like most Conservatives, everything in the world is responsible for his bad parenting skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen all of The Last of Us, but did see the Offerman segment and loved it and cried like a baby as I watched it.

      Delete
  7. I cannot understand why some deranged parents would rather their children were dead as opposed to gay. That is incomprehensible to me, the mother of a dead child. I wouldn't have minded if she'd been gay or not and I'd give anything to have her back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleora Borealis11:04 AM

      Helen, I am so sorry for your loss because clearly you are still a beautiful Mom and a beautiful person. Thank you for sharing and teaching the rest of us how to be beautiful people. 🥰

      Delete
    2. It's fear, Helen, and ignorance, and some of these parents don't realize what a deadly combo that can be.

      Delete
  8. Cleora Borealis11:38 AM

    😕 Sigh...whenever discussions of gender come up, I always recommend to people that they watch the wonderful section of "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" that explains androgyny. I really believe that if people understood at an early age that everybody is female and male, then all the stupidity and gnashing of teeth and pointing fingers and blaming and shaming wouldn't be happening. I want people to celebrate both sides of themselves and then be whatever else is best for them! It is fear and suppression of one part of people when they are young that causes a lot of unhealthy behaviors later! My husband and I were very attracted to each other's fullness of human qualities and, after more than 30 years, we still find that sexy! Okay, I'm gonna go put away my rose-colored glasses for now, but I still have hope in some simple answers!! 🤩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If people would educate themselves and listen with an open mind there wouldn't be this fear and ignorance running rampant STILL!

      Delete
  9. I must say I am a little shocked to find out a figure skaters gay! And Marcia Gay Harden I have always adored. What a great woman and mother she is. This is how you mother.

    And the Boeberts? The only to talk to them honey is to speak idiot. Alas...its the only language they know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved Marcia Gay [How apropos is that?] too.
      The Boeberts are at the far end of the parental spectrum!

      Delete
  10. I love this post, but I swear, sweetpea, THIS has me still smiling,"Official Coming Out Toaster Oven™ and copy of the Gay Agenda." xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine when I came out!! 😁
      xoxo

      Delete
  11. I love Marcia Gay Harden's quote and her point about the queer community being so much more expansive. I think one of the things that conservatives struggle with (because they like boundaries and black-and-white clarity) is that flexibility. Embrace the gray areas, I say!

    Jayson Boebert really IS a masterclass in blame-the-other-guy. (And the news media, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve---I read it and I was waiting for a BUT---But we accept responsibility for our son's actions---I was wanting to read that they are working with their son to be better---Something---Note to Jayson---It's not all out there but the screams are also coming from inside the home---Let's hope the kid can turn around and be better---

      Delete
    2. Marcia is spot on, and Boebert's never take responsibility which is why these two criminals have raised a criminal.

      Delete
  12. aussieguy5:09 PM

    Super-duper post today! Even the Fucktard Boeberts, who certainly stand as the preeminent role model of what NOT to do when responsibly raising children. The others present such a balanced, appropriate response - one which many of us wished we would have received growing up in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's night and day between Marcia Gay Harden and her kids, and the Boeberts and their Demon Spawn!

      Delete
  13. Great collection, and VOTE - VOTE - VOTE!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......