Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: Phoenix House

Brutalist architecture is characterized by minimalist construction showcasing bare building materials and structural elements over decorative design. Brutalism  commonly makes use of exposed, unpainted concrete or brick, steel, timber and glass, angular geometric shapes and a predominantly monochromatic color palette.

This brutalist masterpiece is in Cardiff-by-the-Sea, near San Diego, and is all of those things and more. Designed by Sebastian Mariscal and dubbed Phoenix House, the three-bedroom dwelling helped Mariscal win the first of three Record House designations when it was completed in 2012., While its façade appears bare and bleak, the 5,616 square foot home evolves entirely around expansive greenery and ocean views. Board-formed concrete interiors open onto outdoor spaces, from a rooftop deck with an outdoor kitchen to breezy balconies, a courtyard garden and a pool, most of which have views of the Pacific Ocean.

Mariscal’s use of tactile concrete walls and slate flooring softened by walnut and mahogany cabinetry and sunlight flooding in through skylights, clerestory openings and apertures that curate views and channel sunshine into the deepest recesses of the five-bedroom home.

The main living space overlooks Cardiff’s familiar but always beautiful Pacific Ocean while the master suite gazes into the peaceful yard and pool area. In the midst of it all, centered between the private walls, is an interior garden, a true focal point of the home.

I’ve always found Brutalism interesting, but rather bleak and institutional, but this house, the way it opens to the views and the greenery and the light, really suits me. Plus, it’s located in the heart of Cardiff's Composer District, on Brahms Road—the most undiscovered, tucked away street, parallel to Rossini Canyon—and feels secluded from the buzzing beach town but is within walking distance to shops, restaurants, entertainment and the beaches.

And it can be yours for $10M.

24 comments:

  1. Interesting style, never heard of it before.
    But felt too confined. As always liked the
    outside and ocean view.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably spend all my time up on the roof watching the ocean!

      Delete
  2. Our next-door neighbors had a brutalist home in New Haven, Connecticut. It was surprisingly pleasant inside. Outside, however, it was not. It was known in the neighborhood as “The Bunker.” I love this one inside AND out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one can look bunker-ish, but it's the surroundings and the landscape that warm it up.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about the concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't need the bunker aesthetic. A little too hard for me. I would be expecting the air sirens to go off any moment. I like the layout. Let me be frank, I lived in Vista-about 35 minutes North of San Diego. The beaches are nice and everything on the west side of the 5 is expensive-really anything that sniffs of the ocean is as well-but the weather bothered me. It was always cool. Folks would tell me it was going to be a scorcher. They would go on to relay that it was going to be in the 80's. Hell, I lived in Texas. I like heat-not Las Vegas, Phoenix-but my god could we just get into the the low 90s once in a while.

    Hope the tree is up, lights are hung outside, and you and Carlos are starting your Christmas baking. LOL.

    Be well,

    Victor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are late with the tree, it's going up this weekend.
      I rather like the bunker-ness of it, when you take in all the plant-life and ocean views!

      Delete
  5. Way too "brutal" for me. That "office" looks like a prison cell! Just as well I couldn't afford it anyway I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brutalism can be too brutal, indeed!

      Delete
  6. Can't say that I like it. Oh, a couple of bits, I do. It is too hard for me. No soft pillows or light artwork on the walls. Naaa! Don't think I will make an offer. I saw some architecture the other day that I loved! A school built very round from concrete in the countryside of Iran. Multi-purpose for the whole community. Beautiful and, even tho all gray concrete, not harsh or cold at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be oppressive, all that concrete, but the greenery livens it up for me.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Again, concise yet cogent. That's my Deedle-Eedle-Do!

      Delete
  8. I echo Deedle's "nope!" and add my own "ugly!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brutalism is definitely not a style for everyone, though I admire the woodwork and the greenery and vistas and green roof.

      Delete
  9. Love it.
    It lives towards the back and I'm here for it. I love the brutalists and concrete, so yeah. Especially because the materials used set off the nature surrounding the house. Love the views and that terrace. And the pool! Also, the furniture here tells its own story.
    Yes.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. All that cold grey concrete? No thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it plays off nicely with the greenery though,

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......