Friday, December 11, 2020

I Didn't Say It ...

Dolly Parton, legend, icon, LGBTQ+ ally, angel, in a Zoom interview with RuPaul, about always being fully made-up:

“I have to always stay ready—street ready, I always say. I have to keep my makeup on and keep my hair done. Like, when I’m in L.A.—I’ve told you about it—if it’s going to earthquake, if we get an earthquake, I’m not running out in the street looking like you look now. I have to be ambulance-ready at all times, if I get sick or something. But I actually do wear high heels most of the time. They’re not always as high as the ones I wear for show. But I’m little. I’m short. And I have to wear heels in order to reach my cabinets. But I always enjoy wearing the shoes too, and I just feel more like me. But I can come down, though. I’m comfortable in my own skin; I’m comfortable with my image. I dress for myself more than I do for somebody else.”

I’m.Not.Running.Out.In.The.Street.Looking.Like.You.Do.Now.

Oh Dolly, you are a gift! Actually, you're a treasure.

photo

Clément Beaune, French European Affairs Minister, coming out as gay in an interview TETU magazine, and saying he will visit Poland’s “LGBT free” zones in support of activists:

“I wouldn’t want people to say I am fighting against ‘LGBT-free’ zones because I am gay. It would be insulting to say I am leading that fight for myself. However, as European affairs minister, I have an additional responsibility. I must fight for tolerance.”

Perhaps he isn’t fighting these zones simply because he’s gay, but it may have something to do with it. I mean, a place exists where you are not allowed to exist simply because you’re gay?

Go. Stand. Fight. Not for tolerance, but for the same right to exist as every other person,

photo

Luke Evans, actor and tall hunk of British Husband-In-My-Head, saying he never hid the fact that he was gay because he didn’t discuss it:

“[My sexual orientation] was the last thing I had, because everything else I’ve given to the world. My career was public, I was photographed, and all that stuff. My personal life just became the last thing that I had. Also, what was strange was that when people did find out that I was gay, there was a lot of articles and stuff written saying that I was hiding it, and I wasn’t. I just wanted to get online and I wanted to pick up the phone and say, ‘Do you realize I left home at 16 because I was gay?' I went into the world as a kid, because I had to. I am proud and happy, and I’ve lived a very big life that I’m super happy with. And I’ve never been ashamed. And now all of a sudden I was being treated in this way and it was a scary moment because I was, like, oh God, this is horrible. This is not true. None of this is true. I just try and be authentic, because this is who I am. I am this person. I’m not creating another image so that I can portray one to you.”

I like the way he explained this: that, as an actor, you give so much of yourself to the media and the public, but maybe you want some semblance of privacy, BUT … anyone who comes out makes it easier for someone else to do so, and when a person who has a certain level of fame comes out, it makes it easier for a great deal more LGBTQ+ people to come out.

You don’t have to talk about your romantic life, but just come out so people won’t think you’re ashamed and hiding and maybe they’ll feel less ashamed and stop hiding themselves.

Just sayin’.

photo

Bob the Drag Queen, calling out comedian Dave Chappelle for making anti-transgender jokes:

“I do think the issue with trans lives—especially in the Black community—doesn’t necessarily lie within racism, but it does lie within prejudice and misogyny, specifically trans-misogyny, and this is not just something for just the trans people to address or just the queer people to address. Like, we need, in this world, cisgender, straight, Black men to stand up and say, ‘Trans lives matter.' Don’t even get me started at Dave Chappelle. This is a real blow to my system because, like, Dave Chappelle is someone that I’ve always looked up to, and his comedy is so… lately he’s been really doubling down on this idea that trans people are a joke, or that trans existence is funny or that trans people just living their lives is funny to him. And then when Dave Chappelle—who’s one of the most respected Black people in comedy and entertainment—goes on TV or when Netflix gives him money to say, ‘I can’t stop laughing at trans people, they’re just so funny!’ then it validates that idea for other people, and then other people double down and agree with him. You don’t have to punch down. Like, you’re Dave Chappelle, all of your content leading up to this year, you didn’t have any trans-misogynistic jokes in any of that stuff. You don’t need that stuff.”

Trans people aren’t a joke.

Trans people are being murdered because they are trans, and every time a Dave Chappelle makes light of being trans, he’s making them less than, and killing someone less than isn’t such a bad thing to some people.

It’s not funny.

photo

Tom Harald Hagen, a Norwegian football referee, coming out as gay after hearing a player’s homophobic slur against another player:

“It is the height of irony that I was just leading that match. Maybe he said it on a whim, that can happen in football. But we have to get rid of it … [And so] I feel the time is right and I think that only positive things will come out of this. I have gradually become confident in myself, and my life is very good. I feel it is important to make it safe, including the fact that I am gay. I have lived like that all my life, my relationship, my family—and my football family."

Coming out and standing up to homophobia in sports. Bravo, sir.

And so, please accept as out gift to you, from HOMO HQ, the Official coming Out Toaster Oven™ and a copy of the Gay Agenda.

Welcome out and thank you!

photo

17 comments:

  1. The politicians in power in Poland now are vile extreme religious far right bigots. Much to their embarrassment one of their members of the EU parliament was caught, pants down (literally), at a sex party in Brussels last weekend.The party was raided by the police because the participants were not following social distancing and Covid-19 guidelines. The Pole in question (and there are plenty of jokes that can be made on that) climbed down a drainpipe in the nude. If only there's been TV cameras on the place we'd all have an even bigger laugh as I am sure his pole was quite short by the time he reached pavement (or sidewalk or, as they say in Brussels, rez de chaussé) level!

    His homophobic party was not amused and he resigned pronto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I think trans people are amazingly brave; no-one should have to put up with the shit they face

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so good.
    I love Dolly. I have watched xmas movies for Dolly! I actually have three of her early records, TBH. She's so awesome. And if that was a read to Ru (I don't think it was, but hey), the library is officially CLOSED. LOL

    And Helen is right. Those homophobic European ministers ALL have their dirty laundry. Usually involving another man's dick. Bravo for Clément.

    I think we're gonna have to fight for Luke. Hold my earrings!
    I think 'the closet' depends on who's in it. When people just don't mention they like dick it's not a sin by omission, IMHO, if they're not actually doing shit to hurt the LGBTQ community (I'm looking at you, Lady G****m). Coming out does help create visibility and representation is KEY. Take what Tom did: that's courage.

    Love Bob. Love him. So woke. So smart. So real. Dave Chapelle can go suck the big one.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolly Parton shoots from the hip, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual, Dolly shuts down the whole show!!!!!! I am can relate to her being "dressed" and ready for anything. Im much the same way. My ex used to say, your only going to the market. And I would reply, "But what if I'm in an accident on the way back?" Even home as Dolly says, I'm ambulance ready.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly for me, I remember Dolly on The Porter Wagoner Show on TV. That was when her hair was taller and wider than her face. Something you just could not forget. What a career she has had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Helen
    Hate is the ugliest thing on the planet.

    @Six
    I think Dolly was throwing shade because she said that to Ru on Zoom, while she was looking at him. Still, from Dolly, you know it's all in good fun!
    I get Luke's desire for privacy, but then I think about the younger gays who look up to him and if he came out, and spoke about it, earlier, it would have been good.
    That said, you come out when YOU are ready.
    And, yes to Bob! Funny, woke, smart.


    @Debra
    And she always hits her target.

    @TDM
    Anyone who doesn't love Dolly needs to rethink.

    @MM
    I always tell that to Carlos; it matters what you wear. Be ready ... ambulance ready!

    @Jimmy
    She did work the Higher The Hair The Closer To Jesus hair!


    ReplyDelete
  8. Homophobia should be called out whenever it rears it's ugly little head. Good for that ref.

    Disappointed in Dave Chappelle, again. He knows better. And Bob is right... it is misogyny. He can get away with it because it is directed against those he thinks are less than he... it's about power and ugliness. Now, once again, I have to NOT be a fan of Dave's. Dumb. Really dumb.

    Luke is pretty. Who cares? Glad he is happy.

    Clement Beaune... yay. Always happy to learn that someone in power is willing to stand up for what is right... and against what is wrong.

    Dolly. Too funny. And Ru... deserved it. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing all of this good stuff, Bob. I forgot how much I enjoyed Bob the Drag Queen. I might have to watch a few episodes of "We're Here" tonight. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chapelle has always had issues and doesn't take criticism well... at all.

    Hello, Tom! eh Monsier Beaune? Bon Jour, mon petit.

    We all should have known about Dolly after she recorded My Coat of Many Colors

    ReplyDelete
  11. @upyonkinf
    Yes to calling out homophobia, transphobia, misogyny, racism, sexism, ageism, etc., whenever they raise their ugly heads.
    Dave Chapelle thinks he's edgy; he's a transphobe.

    @Mr. Shife
    It's nice to have a majority of good quotes.
    Hope you and the family are feeling better!

    @Dave
    I knew Dolly from the 'Jolene' days.
    While I was in college I worked at a restaurant with another server named Jolene, and every time she'd serve my table for me, I'd sing:
    ♪ ♫ Jolene Jolene Jolene Jo-le-e-e-ene, I'm begging of you please don't take my food ♫ ♪

    ReplyDelete
  12. All admirable people here. A celebration of decency and enlightenment ... and pride. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post. And these quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @AM
    And she shouldn't!

    @Mitchell
    A week of nice quotes for a change!

    @JM
    Niceness all around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like Mr. Hagan.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......