Friday, December 05, 2014

I Didn't Say It ...

Elton John, on his friendship with Drug Rush Limbaugh:

"I’ve been sober for 24 years now, and one of the best lessons it taught me is to listen. When it comes to people like Rush Limbaugh, or people who might enrage you sometimes, dialogue is the only way. You have to reach out....Better to build a bridge than a wall."

But, Elton, has Limbaugh listened? Has he changed his rhetoric about the GBT community?
You might be thinking you’re building a bridge but in reality you’re just talking to a wall.
Chris Rock, on the Billy Cosby rape allegations:

“I don’t know what to say. What do you say? I hope it’s not true. That’s all you can say. I really do. I grew up on Cosby. I love Cosby, and I just hope it’s not true. It’s a weird year for comedy. We lost Robin, we lost Joan, and we kind of lost Cosby.”

Sadly, though, we lost Robin and Joan through no fault of their own, but we 'lost' Cosby due to his own ALLEGED actions in the past.
James Manning, "pastor" at the Harlem Hate Church, ranting still about Starbucks:

"If you're drinking Starbucks, watch out if you're a woman. You might just get pregnant by drinking Starbucks. Because they've got some pretty potent semen in their drinks. And you will go home and tell your husband that you're pregnant and he'll say, 'But we haven't had sexual intercourse in years! Where did you get pregnant? Is it an immaculate conception?' NO! It was one of Starbucks' lattes that impregnated you!" 

Um, “Pastor”? I’m a gay man, been Team Gay since birth, and haven’t ever had sex with a woman, but even I know you can’t get pregnant drinking a Latte.
Sam Smith, on why he decided to come out before he released his debut album:

“I came out when I was, like 4 years old. My mum said she knew when I was like three. So I didn't have to actually properly come out...So I came out at a very, very young age. I kind of felt like I just had to mention it before I released my record. Just so people knew who the record was about. And it felt like a brave thing to do, as well. I wanted to do it before because if I did it afterwards people probably would have thought I was lying just to sell records, which wasn’t the case."

Except that when you came out — before the record release which actually brought considerable notice to your music — you said you didn’t want to be The Gay Singer, or the Spokesman for The Gays.
I get it: be The Singer, not The Gay Singer, and if you want to speak up for LGBT rights, or for any group, then do that, but all this talk now just sounds too much like sales promotion to me.
Prince Harry, on those nude pictures from his Vegas vacation:

“It was probably a classic case of me being too much Army and not enough prince. It’s a simple case of that.”

Or, you’re much more of a King to me after seeing those photos. But I’m loving your explanation for how, and why, it happened.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe that is why I had twins, Starbucks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally do not get how Elton John can be friends with Rush Limbaugh. I HATE RUSH LIMBAUGH. A useless human being if ever there was one. UGH.

    As for Chris Rock ... Sorry dude, but 20 women is not a coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (First story) E.J. often seems to have had a characteristic of cosying up to particular individuals of outright anti- or, at best, dubious LGTB attitudes. It seems that his need to be liked by them obscures all else. God alone knows why he bothers.
    Wasn't he keen to be seen cuddling up with Eminem after outrageous remarks on the subject? Further back I recall his publicly embracing of Axl Rose in the wake of his "Kill the f*ggots spreading their disease" rant. I should have thought he'd have more than enough friends among the genuinely friendly than to have to consort with our persecutors. Build a bridge by all means, but don't do ALL the work to make it reach the other end while the other doesn't lift a finger or budge but remains fixedly unchanged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So if you don't get pregnant from drinking a Starbucks latte, just how do you get pregnant? Drink in MacDonalds?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This isn't the 1st time Elton has had an unlikely friendship or collaboration. Remember when he performed with anti-gay Eminem at some awards show?

    That pastor needs to go back to health class and learn how women actually get pregnant. What an idiot!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......