Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Architecture Wednesday: Red Pepper House

From above it looks like a small mountain on a remote island in the middle of the sea.

From the ground it's a luxurious vacation rental in Lamu, Kenya, on an eight-acre plot surrounded by an acacia forest.

The organic shape, with its soft curves and high roof peaks, are created through the use of makuti roof covers over a platform that houses different cube-shaped, coral stone buildings and open-air rooms.

It's indoors, while it's outdoors, and its steps from the beach and a world away from anyone else.

3 comments:

  1. Now, I can't say I have seen anything like it. Pretty neat as long as no one lights a match. I do feel though if I moved in, id need Ma Petite as a housemate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks idyllic - but I wouldn't last long there because, with all those open rooms, just the thought of the creepy-crawlies would give me the heebee-jeebies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. Awesomely beautiful. However, I would be afraid of the creepy crawlies too.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......