Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Dick Hodo, of Sisters Gourmet Bistro, Does Not Approve Of The Gays .... Or Equality

The River Valley Equality Center [RVEC], out there in Arkansas, a non-profit organization where LGBTQ folks, and their straight allies, work toward equality, was planning a fundraiser. In doing so they contacted the Sisters Gourmet Bistro as a possible venue to hold their event, and the event was scheduled for the restaurant.

But then Sisters owner, Richard Hodo, found out what the RVEC was and quickly cancelled their reservation saying, "I called them and told them that I -- we're not going to have that at Sisters, we had no plans for that and there were no reservations to hold any kind of fundraiser or anything like that. I told them that I do not support their cause, that if they want to do that that's their business. I do not care, but I don't support their lifestyle and their cause .... This is a private club and I have the right to refuse service to anyone."

First off, Dick—may I call you Dick?—it isn’t a ‘lifestyle; it’s a life, and if you don’t support the cause of equality that means you are in favor of people, for whatever reason, being treated as ‘less than.’ Or, maybe it’s just The Gays and The Straights Who Support Gays you think undeserving of equality.

But then Hodo goes a step further, and tells  Sarah Sarrubbo, an organizer with the RVEC, "What I told the lady on the on the phone, look I said if the KKK came here and wanted to hold a fundraiser rally and all that, I wouldn't allow that either."

Yes, The Gays are like the KKK, except we probably have a higher thread count on our sheets …. That we keep on our beds in our homes and don’t toss over our heads to walk the streets. And the only thing we burn on lawns is maybe some marshmallows in an outdoor fire-pit. But hey, that’s kinda KKK, no?

Look, here’s the deal, if Dick Hodo wants to keep The Gays from having a fundraiser at his bistro, I say go right ahead. But then I also say that The Gays who aren’t holding fundraisers should find another place to eat, and The Straights Who Support Gays should find another place to eat, and that way Dick Hodo and the Sisters Gourmet Bistro can hold fundraisers and serve dinners to people who, one day soon, will find themselves on the wrong side of history; who will find themselves as examples of bigotry and intolerance on the road to equality.

But, you know, that’s just me.

4 comments:

  1. The name had such promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Dick-head! How is that "we don't serve those kind of people" gonna work out for you once the word gets around? Do you really want to turn into a red-neck joint?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever again find myself in that town in Arkansas, I will never find myself in Sisters Gourmet Bistro.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......