Monday, August 22, 2011

Mad About Town

Well, since I'm away, I thought I'd offer up a little tour of Smallville [real name: Camden} for those of you--and I'm assuming that's all of you, who've never been here.
The Kershaw-Cornwallis House,
just south of town.
Camden is the fourth oldest city in of South Carolina, and is actually the oldest inland city, with a population of roughly 8,000. In total area, Camden is 9.8 square miles, of which 9.6 is land, and 0.2 is water.

Like I said, Smallville.
The Robert Mills-designed Courthouse is now
Camden's Visitors Center. Mills is most famous
for designing the Washington Monument.
In 1730--yes, almost three hundred years ago-- Camden became part of a township plan ordered by King George II, and was laid out in 1732 as the town of Fredericksburg in the Wateree River swamp--just south of present-day Camden.
Beautiful downtown Camden.
When King George III ordered eleven inland townships established along South Carolina's rivers, few of the area settlers chose to take lots surveyed in the town, choosing the higher ground to the north, and the Fredericksburg township soon disappeared.

In 1758, Joseph Kershaw, from Yorkshire, England came into the township, established a store and renamed the town Pine Tree Hill. Camden became the inland trade center in the colony, and Kershaw suggested that the town be renamed Camden, in honor of Lord Camden, the champion of colonial rights.
One of my favorite buildiungs in town,
it's now a music store.
In May 1780 the American Revolution came to Charleston, and that town was captured. Afterwards, Lord Charles Cornwallis and 2,500 of his troops marched into Camden and established it as the main British supply post for the Southern campaign.

The Battle of Camden, the worst American defeat of the Revolution, was fought on August 16, 1780 in Camden, and the Battle of Hobkirk Hill was fought by 1,400 American troops led by General Nathanael Greene and 950 British soldiers led by Lord Francis Rawdon on April 25, 1781. The latter battle was a costly win for the British, and forced them to leave Camden.

Camden City Hall.
Camden, though not involved directly with the Civil War, did send a few generals into battle, most notably a Hero of the American Civil War, Richard Rowland Kirkland, who is interred in the Old Quaker Cemetery.

After the war, in 1885, Camden became a place where rich Northern families would spend the winter. The town became associated with many equestrian activities, and is now the home of the third oldest active polo field in America. In the winter, more than 1,500 thoroughbreds call the field home. For that reason, Camden is known as the ‘Steeplechase Capital of the World’.”

The Main Post Office.
 The Carolina Cup is an annual event held on either the final Saturday in March or the first Saturday of April, with the first race held on March 22, 1930; the Cup has been held every year since, with the exception of 1943 and 1945 when a little old thing called World War Two got in the way--why we had the Cup in '44 is not known.

The races have become a South Carolina tradition, and normally draw crowds of over 70,000 spectators to Camden. as we live on the rod to the racecourse, we see most of these people driving, and walking, to the Cup.

The Cup has become a premier social sporting event at Springdale Race Course, which is also home to the Marion du Pont Scott Colonial Cup held on the third Sunday in November.

It's a big deal in Smallville.

And so, y'all, there's a little history, and a few pictures of Small.....er, Camden.

Springdale Race Course, a 500-acre venue for racing and training.

The Cup.


13 comments:

  1. Good grief, the history!
    Our town started in 1940s to make a nuclear bomb. Not as romantic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, I was just wondering where you were....
    I used to take 20 all the time, now that I'm in NYC I stick to 95.
    I was raised in the country, but I can't do crickets any more than a night or two now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love old buildings. It looks like a very pretty town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great and interesting post. I knew absolutely nothing at all about Smallville, except that Superman (Bob) is from there. What a charming and fascinating place. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, this will help me with the SC town in my script

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:48 PM

    I love to photograph historic architecture, too. Looks like the weather is beautiful. Enjoy your R&R!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Camden looks very nice, but it's a good thing you and Carlos are there to give it some flair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:36 PM

    I love those old buildings. We hardly have any of those where I live unless we're talking homes built before 1984.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting, thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a beautiful town and it's nice to hear about something about South Carolina other than Myrtle Beach!

    Strange to look at a building and think that it predates you by centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Obviously I am from NC and now live in FL but Yep we have been to Steeplchase a number of times. My hubby is from Charlotte and we lived there for 10 years before we moved down here. Love that you are there and I never knew all the history. Thanks for sharing. I am originally from Wilmington, NC (my parents are still there) and I adore the southern history more than you can imagine. None of that down here in Palm Beach County.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed the tour. Not sure why we never visited Camden when we lived in Charleston. No Spanish moss there - good!! It's pretty at first and then gets sort of creepy and depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:42 PM

    I randomly stumbled upon your blog while looking into the Dayna Morales situation, and I see that you live in Camden! Small world, I do too! I live on the side closer to Cassatt, but still part of Smallville nonetheless. My favorite part of Camden has to be the animal shelter, Walter Crowe. Hands down, the happiest place in town!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......