Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton Symbolically Vetoes Anti-Marriage Equality Bill

This morning, in what is seen as it truly is, a symbolic act, Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton vetoed the state Legislature's constitutional amendment defining marriage as only a union between one man and one woman. Now, constitutional amendments do not require a governor's signature, so Dayton's veto has no real power, but he simply wanted to make his strong condemnation of the discriminatory legislation known:

"I do not have the power to prevent this divisive and destructive constitutional amendment from appearing on the ballot, in November 2012, the Legislature sent it to me in the form of a bill. Thus, symbolic as it my be, I am exercising my legal responsibility to either sign or veto it...The path of social progress, of human compassion and understanding, would be tragically reversed by this amendment. Minnesotans are better than this. I urge Minnesotans to reject this amendment."

Bravo, Governor Dayton, bravo.
His letter follows:


source

2 comments:

  1. What a mensch, we could use a few more...
    Thank You Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this guy!!!!! What a brave, intelligent man. We need more people like him in our country. Could he please run for President?

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......