Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Architecture Wednesday: A Cottage In Vermont


Some of you have commented on the enormous homes that I post; those fabulous tens of thousands of square feet manses. Some of you have complained that those homes are a waste of space, but, I like ‘em, and it’s my blog so … but I also like smaller and simpler and peaceful spaces, and this home, in the Vermont woods, suits me just fine.

This home is part of a collection of cottages designed to host musicians spending the summer in Marlboro, Vermont. These Marlboro Music Cottages are located on the 500-acre campus of Marlboro College, tucked into the foothills of Vermont’s Green Mountains.

This cottage, practically hidden in the cedar tree forest, giving it a sense of privacy while also protecting it from the direct rays of the sun, seems like a fairy tale cottage … an Amish Abode …a Pennsylvania Dutch Dwelling …a Quaint Quaker lodging.

The interiors are mostly wood, with tile floors and gracious windows, but feel very austere and peaceful, which I’m guessing a musician might light before and after performing.

I just like the simplicity of it all; the bareness of it all … even with a grand piano in the living room.


Click to emBIGGERate ...


8 comments:

  1. I used to like big homes, but I'm over that stuff now....dont impress me much. I love the simple life now. I am adoring this, and the inside has many possibilities. Sold even more on the location and the natural feel of the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect Cottage in the Woods.... Deep Forest... Peaceful.... Solitude ... !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder, surrounded by all of that wood, if the piano doesn't sound a bit like it's in an echo chamber.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could get used to living in a tiny house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice and I like warm colours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to be a musician! I find the big, rich places impressive. I also find them at times obscene. These are human!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Said goodbye to house and home when we evacuated for Carr Fire. Bye Stuff. House 1000 ft from us is decimated, 400 feet from us is 'heavily damaged'. Our house intact, all my stuff is still there...kind of pissed!

    Giving all the stuff to kids and getting simple. This house and furnishings fits the bill perfectly, plus surroundings have my name written all over!

    Nice house. (I like big houses, too. Just want them mostly empty so I can skate during bad weather).

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Toni
    I was thinking of you and yours with the mad fire season out there.
    This house is perfect for a reboot, I would think.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......