Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Architecture Wednesday: Embury Stone House

Rooted in legacy, Embury Stone House is a 1930 historic retreat set on 12 private acres. With 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, 4,164 square feet of turnkey living space, and a heated pool, the property pairs comfort with pedigree. Designed by renowned architect Aymar Embury II, the stone landmark was built as part of former Secretary of the Treasury Henry Morgenthau Jr.'s Fishkill Farms estate, and became a favored hunting retreat for President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Hewn from stone quarried directly from the hillside, the home remains a masterwork of craft, with gables, soaring chimneys, and arched doorways that capture its storied past. Inside, original timber beams, mantels, and a grand stone fireplace anchor warm gathering spaces, while broad Tudor-style windows frame mountain and woodland views, and flood the home with light.

The modern kitchen, outfitted with Viking appliances, opens to one of many large stone patios for effortless indoor-outdoor living and entertaining. A breakfast nook steps down to a first-floor guest bedroom or office with a half bath powder room. Off the kitchen a stairway leads to a sun-drenched gameroom.

Upstairs, three bedrooms span two floors, including a primary suite warmed by a stone fireplace, and a third-floor suite with a clawfoot tub, office, and an additional room. A flexible attic with a bathroom is not included in the square footage.

Outdoors, the property showcases extensive stonework amidst a landscape of rolling meadows, towering trees, and a meandering creek. The heated saltwater pool and spa create a summer centerpiece, alongside multiple terraced patios that invite alfresco dining surrounded by thousands of acres of protected wilderness.

A gated entrance, fencing, and thoughtful lighting enhance both privacy and peace of mind. With a successful history as a short-term rental, this property offers strong investment potential and lasting legacy. Though completely private, it is just 20 minutes from Beacon and Cold Spring's cultural centers, with direct access to major thoroughfares for an easy connection to New York City. With its rich history, timeless architecture, and turnkey comforts, Embury Stone House is a rare chance to own a piece of Hudson Valley History.

It sold last Fall for $1.5 million … which seems like a steal.

As always, click to emBIGGERate …

Dwell

19 comments:

  1. Oh yes!!!! I like this. The exterior is stunning....feels like Bucks County to me. When I say I like a home with feel and character this is it...with a bit of the old world charm. And it looks tranquil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like an elevator but other than that I love it.

      Delete
  2. Wait…
    1.5 mil? There are tacky McMansions selling for that in the Repug suburbs here!
    You had me at local stone. This is a very nice house. Classic layout and modern convenience? I’m in.
    Love the little corners and the personality.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got some odd spaces but it is kind of fancy-pants in some of those rooms!
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Krayolakris8:48 AM

    $1.5 mil?? I would’ve guessed $10.5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be priced rather low ....

      Delete
  4. The ceilings in some rooms are lower than one might expect in something like this. But it's well done. And I love the Marilyn photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's close to 100 years old and those sky-high ceilings weren't a thing in those days!

      Delete
  5. I like it and am ready to refurnish it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some paint, some area rugs, and I could live there. Oh, and I'd replace that pool table with a home gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd replace the pool table with a speak-easy.

      Delete
  7. I quite like this one, though I'm geting too old for that many stairs. But I love old stone houses. My brother and his family live in an old fieldstone house - built in 1906. It has four foot thick walls in the basement and three feet walls on the main and second floors. Not as big or as grand as this one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I love the house but you gotta gimme an elevator!!!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous10:27 AM

    the dog's mother
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I honestly can't put my finger on why I don't like this one, so I'll just keep my hands to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a lack of decent lighting? I like to read at night, an would have a problem in that place

      Delete
    2. @Deedles
      Does it need a red door???

      @Allan
      Get a few table lamps at IKEA!

      Delete
  10. The inside is way more impressive than the outside

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......