Built around 1700, just 34 years after the Great Fire of London, Number 1 Goodwin’s Court celebrates well over 300 years of existence with the completion of its painstaking ten-year renovation. As part of a row of Grade II Listed buildings this home is a rare survivor of a building type reflecting the conditions of London’s Georgian working-classes; it’s also a piece of London’s rich history as well as more recent fame as the inspiration for Ollivanders Wand Shop in the Harry Potter films. To start with, slowly and carefully, 325 years of architectural history were peeled back, revealing an astonishing level of originality still intact. Four time-worn stone steps sit just below the exquisite front door. Once inside the upper ground floor you can walk down a preserved staircase into a beautifully appointed kitchen with cool York stone floors and period fireplace. Hidden away, to preserve that history, are fridge, freezer, microwave and dishwasher while an induction hob sits atop a solid oak countertop. Overhead, exposed, original time aged beams have been exposed and re-installed complete with state-of-the-art fire prevention misting system. The room also has space for a kitchen table and chairs for dining while, a Accessed through a reclaimed door, is a Georgian inspired tiled shower room with antique water closet and wash basin. Back on the upper ground floor is the reception room and its original intricate bow window from the 1700s; the room is anchored by a central fireplace, flanked with recessed shelving and original Wainscot paneling. As a nod to its history as a former shop, two softly worn patches in the floorboards mark the spot where a shopkeeper stood for generations. That history extends to the original staircase carrying you up to the first floor; its distempered walls and original plaster work take center stage, its light blue patina resembles an impressionist painting. On the first floor is a double with forward-facing windows overlooking the historic alleyway. Original plaster work sits between the windows and above the wainscot with an authentic fireplace and reclaimed wood paneling elsewhere. Cupboards on either side of the fireplace now house the convenience of an antique water closet to one side and a wash hand to the other. On the second floor is the second bedroom with softly textured lime rendered walls creating a warmth intensified by the natural light penetrating the room through dual windows; historic details continue with beautifully aged & waxed, reclaimed floorboards and muted hue of the paneled walls and cupboards on either side of a fireplace. Essentially untouched since 1700, the historic loft space is in a class of its own and a glimpse into the past of its honest construction with 326-year-old pegs and roof tiles remaining intact. It’s a piece of history brought back to life perfectly. As always click to emBIGGERate … |
Internally, I am an old soul and left behind from a previous time I think, so you know I love this and its rich history. The problem is I don't think any of my current furnishings would fit in it. And then there's the house boys! But I suppose for weekend jaunts to London, it would be just the ticket. I love its simplicity.
ReplyDeleteThe attic space might make a perfect bunk room for the houseboys???
DeleteBut, yeah, I feel the same way about the house.
That staircase is an immediate fail. Then there are the dimensions. This place is small. And that black paint? This is a pass.
ReplyDeleteWell, small was the key. In 1700 this wasn't a majestic home, it was both shop and home and not a place for large groups.
DeleteI’m torn.
ReplyDeleteYou know I love me a renovation, but this one is a little too restrained for me. I would leave the color scheme but would change all the furniture. I’d make the loft my bedroom and would have to do something about that water closet!
XOXO
I don't know how I'd like having the only private bath all the way in the basement. I'd kill myself in the middle of the night ... for proof, check out Bobservations tomorrow and see what happens in the shadows!
Deletexoxo
This townhouse is such a beautiful example of how old buildings can still carry their character when restored with care. I love that the renovation kept the original details instead of replacing everything with modern finishes because those small imperfections and aged materials are what give historic homes their charm. The hidden modern features are a clever way to make the space practical while respecting its past. Places like this always make me curious about the people who lived and worked there centuries ago. I recently shared a new blog post too and would love for you to stop by and have a look when you get a chance.
ReplyDeleteI agree. It's been lived in and worked in for 300+ years and I love the quirks in the space.
DeleteThat's incredible. Perfectly renovated Rustic inside such an unassuming entrance. That's the thing I love about "the old countries" - they tend to preserve, while here we tend to tear down the historic buildings - and the history along with them.
ReplyDeleteNewer isn't always better; history offers a lot.
DeleteI'd pass on this one. A wonderful restoration, more of a museum than a functional home. I couldn't live there comfortably.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree. While it's a sympathetic restoration in some aspects, Georgian working-class residents would never have had any type of indoor plumbing other than a chamber pot! And their furniture would not have been that high quality either and much smaller in scale.
DeleteI like the history of the place. One of my favorite places to visit in NYC is the Tenement Museum where you can see how people actually lived.
DeleteThis house would a couple of tweaks ... like an elevator. Oy the stairs are making my knees creak!
I wonder how they get beds and furniture up those stairs.
ReplyDeleteRemember back when that house was built beds and dressers and such were smaller, especially in a working class home!
DeleteNope. Too drab, too dark, too depressing. I was a drab, beige kid. I'm living my old lady years as a pinata! I don't know how to put that squiggly line over the n.
ReplyDeleteI know how ... Google the word pinata and then copy and paste it into the blog: piñata.
DeleteOh, Bobulah. It's so funny that you think I'm one of those talented people who can walk and chew gum at the same time! Balder Half has tried for years to teach me stuff. It'll be fifty-one on Sunday and I still can't drive a stick shift. He gave up on that one. In other words, you lost me at copy and paste.
DeleteI have a friend like that. I tell her how it's done and she says, "What?"
DeleteI love preserving the old and bringing it to life for today's needs. I don't really care for the location in London.. The home seems like it was squeezed in. I need a little more breathing room. I am six feet one and need a little more head room. I would certainly break my neck running up the stairs to retrieve my charger let alone coming down for breakfast. The home is a little too rustic for my liking. If I am going to pay for a home in London I would prefer it to be a little more refined and finished.
ReplyDeleteI need one floor living unless there's an elevator ...
Deletethe dog's mother
ReplyDeletexoxo :-)
I am in love with this. Not a place to live (I’d be bumping into things and hitting my head everywhere), but as a pristinely and lovingly restored piece of history. So beautifully done.
ReplyDeleteI agree, as a bit of history it's quite something.
DeleteI'm glad they restored it, and I'm sure there are people who will go for that, but it doesn't seem very livable, does it? Let's face it -- the 1700s in London were not a particularly comfortable time!
ReplyDeleteNo light-filled rooms and wide-open spaces!
DeleteFascinating place, but those stairs are a killer.
ReplyDeleteMy knees saw the stairs and creaked, "Nope."
DeleteThanks for sharing all these beautiful and fascinating pictures.
ReplyDelete👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
DeleteWow, what an incredible space. A bit dark for my tastes and no greenery in sight. But it would be turning back time and fascinating to stay/live in an historic property like that.
ReplyDeleteYou're right about staying there for a vacation of sorts. It's a little too small and tall for me!
DeleteI think I'm in Lust with this Property.
ReplyDeleteIt is quite interesting and very different.
DeleteIt's fairly clear there were restraints in what could be done with the interior but I think a fair job has been made. I wonder what the CH with a measurement is about. I'd hate to think of the price of the home.
ReplyDeleteI don't think it was resurrected to live in but more as an historical reference to the past.
Delete