Wednesday, September 09, 2026

Architecture Wednesday: Maine Island Camp House

Last week we had a luxurious home in East Hampton but now we’re going a little more rustic you’re your own three bedroom, three bathroom, 2,400 square foot home on your own island!!

Accessible by a causeway, this exclusive island estate is anchored by a remarkable year-round log home, setting the stage for quintessential lakeside living. Unique architectural elements such as a dramatic cathedral ceiling and massive stone fireplace in the great room, large country kitchen, an excellent floorplan for hosting guests, banks of windows soaking up the lake views and a deep three-sided wrap-around porch are just some of the classic features of this 4-season home that promotes unfussy tranquility in the timeless Maine Camp style.

An expansive recreation wing with tall lakeview windows presents an exciting surprise: a heated inground pool, jacuzzi, and large open space that's perfect for a gym or rainy-day pool parties. Further enhancing the island estate four outbuildings—including a 4-car garage and boathouse—and an open lawn that extends to the south-facing beach, a great spot for swimming or launching kayaks.

Expanding the connection with nature, the 12+ acre woodland lot is lush with the opportunity to create trails and vistas in every direction and to explore the 3,750 foot shoreline on pristine 420-acre Sandy Pond. More than a novelty, the tall motorized wooden gate at the end of the causeway ensures this magical playground is a splendidly private setting. As a bonus, vibrant Belfast, just 25-minutes away, offers an abundance of harbor town amenities, shops and some really great dining, making this nearby coastal community a perfect complement to your island lifestyle for $1.7 million.

As always, click to emBIGGERate …

And just look at it in the snow!! So peaceful!

21 comments:

  1. My own island?
    Sold. At this point I’m ready to become a prepper and leave the world behind. Now all I need is my own lumbersexual.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a squad of houseboys????
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. How do we get the bear down off of the ceiling? It would be fun for a few months in the summer, but those Maine winters are not for me. And get rid of the acrylic shower units, they really are tacky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does need some updates and I wouldn't mind spending a Maine winter up there with enough provisions and power.
      Several comments concerned the bear and I am sad to say I didn't see the bear on the ceiling until just now!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9:18 AM

    the dog's mother
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krayolakris9:24 AM

    I wouldn’t say No if someone wanted to give me the island. Shouldn’t there be a sauna somewhere? The pool is a plus. The bearskin has to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The indoor pool sold me! Rustic is fine, but I'd have to do something to reduce the amount of knotty pine. Krayolakris is right: Shouldn't there be a sauna or steam room somewhere???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd splash some paint around to cover most of the wood and, yes, a sauna is in order!!

      Delete
  6. The kitchen and the pool are super nice, but what's with that bear on the ceiling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With some changes I could easily live there and, yes, I'd lose the bear in the ceiling!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:04 PM

      I thought the bear skin might be strategically placed to cover some staining where there was a roof leak during the snowy winter. The house is pretty but it would need constant upkeep. I grew up in a house with knotty pine paneling stained sage green in the kids’ bedroom (not recommended for long term occupancy) and clear finish in the family room so I could feel at quite at home in this property— If I had a sturdy, reliable maintenance staff.

      Delete
  7. The home and the area look so pretty covered by snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so peaceful in winter.

      Delete
  8. I like the pool I like the bear. There's just too much wood. The exterior is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of wood and, so far, you're the only one that wants the bear!

      Delete
  9. All of that for only $1.7m? That's a bargain. The walls and ceiling of the indoor pool remind me of a Viking boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too much wood for me; I need some paint.

      Delete
  10. Not my style, but great structure.

    As for furnishings and fixtures, they should have left it empty for photos. Uninspired and dated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the furnishings do nothing for the place, nor all that wood. I'd get 'em down in price and then start a sremodel and update!

      Delete
  11. You can buy log chalets here easily and they fit right in with the mountains - in fact we looked at one right before we decided on this house - but I have to admit I find all that wood inside very oppressive. It's always too dark for my taste. Still, it is a lovely home and I LOVE the railings on that wooden staircase - a very nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's too much wood, walls, floors, ceilings and cabinets!!

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......