Wednesday, October 07, 2026

Architecture Wednesday: The Celanese House

The Celanese House was designed by famed architect Edward Durell Stone as a stunning example of mid-century modern architecture that seamlessly blends form and function. The house features a lattice screen on the façade and glass pyramids on the roof which are prime examples of Stone's design. And, true to Stone's principles, the house is substantial, private and comfortable.

Built in 1959, the house has been fully renovated to its original vision with Stone's signature elements remaining intact: floating sheet rock walls, satin bleached oak floors and walls of glass; an underlit glass floor at the entryway and a kitchen retaining its original style but with updated appliance and a new flat skylight. The primary suite is complete with spa bathroom in marble with double sinks and separate tub and shower. In addition there are three other en suite bathrooms.

The home sits on two-plus park-like acres, on prestigious Oenoke Ridge, with integrated landscape design to complement the structure. A unique opportunity to own a true masterpiece.

There are four bedrooms and four-and-a-half baths in 4427 square foot home for just $4.4M.

As always. Click to emBIGGERate …

Dwell

32 comments:

  1. That is a LOT of house but the layout is fab.
    The amount of potential! Those skylights are fantastic and the room distribution is very interesting. I love all that light. It’s not quite affordable, but whoa.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love all the skylights and the windows but it needs some color, as in artwork, on the walls.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I like it, and it has sheep! I would add a little color, some splashy art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does need some great art so you'd better get back to the easel!

      Delete
  3. Sorry, it reminds me too much of a biolab in Siberia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When were you in a Siberian biolab???

      Delete
  4. Krayolakris9:13 AM

    So sterile it’s creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It needs some bold pieces of art and better furnishings, but it is the perfect blank slate.

      Delete
  5. It’s a stunning space and the furnishings work well with the architecture and style although they leave me cold. Still, very impressive and maybe, just maybe, big enough for the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps if we gave the cats their own level it might work, otherwise I am in downsize mode!

      Delete
  6. This is superb!! Love that kitchen. And all those bookshelves --- you didn't mention bookshelves! Most folks will dis on all the white. But that gives one a blank canvas to add artwork and a feature wall here and there.
    **cracks open the piggy bank**
    **cries because there isn't enough**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are on the exact same page. The only thing I love more than a wine room is a stocked library!

      Delete
  7. I can appreciate the design concept but not for me. It almost resembles a garden center from outside and the inside is way to clinical and open for me. I like more charm and character. I mean the crew from the White Party could go right in with music and DJ and start the party immediately. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see garden center before, but I see it now, though I still like the house and the pyramids on top.
      And I like the idea of the blanks slate for art and furnishings.
      Yeah, I'd take it.

      Delete
  8. Too neutral for me, but I do love the amount of light in the home from the dome pyramids and the windows. The sheep looking out at the lawn made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could work with the neutral and splash around some color .... perhaps even red on the sheep!

      Delete
  9. Anonymous12:48 PM

    the dog's mother
    Like all the books!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the natural light is great, but the entryway reminds me of a Japanese bath house. Overall, too sterile and institutional for me, though the sheep are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can get behind the white and sterile and bring in some cool furniture and art and rugs ... and I might like the idea of a bath house?

      Delete
  11. Too much white and glass. I can imagine lots of fingerprints on everything...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though if you could afford $4.4 million you could afford a maid or window cleaner???

      Delete
  12. I like the house, but it looks awfully cold -- all the flat white surfaces, steel-framed furnishings and marble. It needs some rugs and some color. (And plants!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on all counts.
      A maybe a dog???

      Delete
  13. Very nice but too white. White is clearly a thing for some people though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White is a good base for art, colorful furnishings, rugs etc.

      Delete
  14. Cold and sterile. That's my first impression. No personality. And someone loves white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always add personality and white is the perfect background for artwork.

      Delete
  15. Bland and sterile. Looks like a very expensive hospital for billionaire mental patients.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think clean and sleek.
      xoxo

      Delete
  16. Not for me, the look is too institutional, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for everybody but we all need to see past the white and sterile and think what it could be once personalized.

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......