Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Architecture Wednesday: Tan y Coed

Wisteria trails elegantly over this Welsh stone longhouse, built in 1800,  located in a serene valley in Oswestry, Tan y Coed [‘under the trees’] and surrounded by the bucolic Candy Woods. It was carefully renovated to create a series of bright, open spaces. Outside is a separate one-bedroom guest house as well as a studio space, and a geodesic dome greenhouse.

Tan y Coed is a brilliant example of a Welsh longhouse; traditionally designed to house livestock—either cows or sheep—on the ground floor with living accommodations on the first, these houses are found across Wales and the rest of the country.

Beyond the front gate, a spacious driveway approaches the house where a path leads to the two main points of access: the formal entrance which sits underneath a porch, and a more frequently used side entrance, which leads directly into an open-plan kitchen, dining area, and living area.

The kitchen is composed of white cabinets and wood countertops and white-brick tiled backsplash set against original wooden floors. Beyond the kitchen is the oak, garden room extension, bathed in light throughout the day through the stretches of glazing on three sides and warmed by the underfloor heating beneath the slate floor.

A more formal dining room lies beyond in the original part of the house with parquet floors and a wood-burning stove; from there you enter an expansive sitting room, which also has wooden floors and an original inglenook—a small nook or alcove adjoining a fireplace—that is now home to a wood-burning stove; original exposed beams run the length of the ceiling overhead.

A set of contemporary open-tread stairs leads upstairs to the sleeping quarters; the principal bedroom has a bright en suite bathroom with a shower and access to a generous balcony while three further bedrooms are positioned on this floor, served by a shared bathroom. 

Behind the house, a barn has been converted into a one-bedroom guesthouse, constructed from the same Welsh stone as the house, equipped with a downstairs kitchen downstairs and a raised living space on the first floor. To the other side of the house, near the driveway, is a large new block that houses two open carports, a garage underneath and an open-plan room above, currently used as a gym.

And the gardens that surround the house are planted with thousands of daffodils, wild garlic and raised vegetable beds; a stream meanders from the end of the garden lawn towards the house, which fronts onto a pond where a new terrace raised on stilts sits above the water.

It all seems idyllic and peaceful and worth the £1.1M price tag considering it’s already been sold.

10 comments:

  1. Clean , simple, and chic. Modern with rustic touches. The place is not fussy. I love this style of home for the exterior also. And it looks nice and secluded. Plus, a guest house for you and Carlos or Six, or Deedles to stay in when you visit. I'd have a heyday in the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krayolakris8:29 AM

    I could be persuaded! The home gym and the natural gardens are wonderful. But the interior looks like so many other modernized spaces. It could be located anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could live in the one bedroom barn.
    This is very nice and well appointed.. eighteen hundreds, huh? That gym is bigger than my current apartment!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. The motorcycle would have to go. And is that a TV in that long room with 2 walls of windows? Otherwise, this is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:35 AM

    the dog's mother
    A motorcycle under the stairs?!?!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The outside of the home is spectacular, and the grounds are gorgeous. I love a repurpose. The inside, overall, appears to feel flat. It feels like they stripped all the soul and the character of the home. Maybe a little color in rugs, furnishings, and paint to give a little warmth. I do love the stone floors in the living room and the wood floors upstairs. The wooden beams add character to the home. I would enjoy the gym to keep the old bones moving. I could do an Airbnb-type situation with the one-bedroom guest house to provide income to support the upkeep of the property. I could work with this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Usually not a fan of beams, but they work beautifully here. I don't think I'd change a thing (except adding the usual elevator).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’d be so happy here! Beautiful, inviting, comfortable inside and out. And a guest house! We had that luxury once. Do you suppose it all could be shipped to Spain?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where's the photo of the greenhouse!!!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......