Pages

▼

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Architecture Wednesday: 1893 Renaissance Revival Loft

This home, this magnificent loft at 21 Bond Street stands within the NoHo Historic District of New York City as a remarkable example of late 19th-century commercial Renaissance Revival architecture. It was commissioned by real estate operator Leon Tannenbaum and designed by Buchman & Deisler in 1893, the six-story loft and store building—with one residence per floor with private keyed elevator—with a communal rooftop terrace and ownership of one-fifth of the ground-floor store was conceived as a modern interpretation of the Renaissance Revival style.

Its cast-iron storefront, framed by brownstone piers, Palladian-inspired second-story windows, and intricate rosettes set within a triangular pediment, reflects the decorative ambition of the era. Grouped openings on the upper floors—highlighted by terra-cotta fleurs-de-lis and a dramatic fanlight-style arch—complete the building’s elegant vertical rhythm beneath a classic iron cornice.

Originally conceived as a storefront-and-loft building, the residence was reimagined by a noted New York architect who stripped away Sheetrock, exposing the century-old brick and timber framing and added a massive new skylight at the center of the living room, drawing sunlight through 14-foot ceilings.

The flooring was replaced with Dinesen white oak planks, crafted from trees aged between 80 and 200 years and individually selected for their grain and proportion; each plank is joined with traditional oak butterfly joints, preserving the natural character and integrity of the wood. And antique European elements throughout the home introduce a sense of lived-in grandeur, like the addition of a Provençal-style mantel from the Paris flea market that anchors the living room fireplace.

The living room also features four oak-framed arched windows with blackout shades, 14-foot ceilings and exposed brick walls; a remote-controlled gas fireplace, an 11' × 10' operable skylight and a Sony projector with 125” motorized movie screen.

In the adjoining kitchen are high-end Miele appliances, custom oak cabinetry with antique chicken-wire glass, a Julien sink with integral drainboard and garbage disposal, marble countertops and vintage 1950s drafting chairs at the island.

The primary bedroom has South-facing steel windows with oak Venetian finish, 13-foot ceilings, a remote-controlled gas fireplace and floor-to-ceiling oak wardrobes with mirrored fronts. The primary bathroom has radiant-heated French terracotta floors, a deep porcelain cast-iron soaking tub, an antique Empire vanity with Belgian black-stone top, dual sinks and custom brass electric towel warmers; there are extra-large dual medicine cabinets, a heated toilet with bidet function and an operable window with motorized Lutron blackout shade

The three additional bedrooms each accommodate a king-size bed, feature built-in desks and divided oak wardrobes and solar-powered skylights with blackout shades. The secondary bathroom features heated French terracotta floors, an antique mahogany vanity with dual sinks, mirrored walls and walk-in glass shower, custom brass towel warmers and a heated toilet with bidet function.

The powder offers an operable skylight with blackout shade, along with heated French terracotta floors, a mahogany vanity with Belgian black-stone top, mirrored walls and heated toilet with bidet function.
There is also an in-home laundry room with both a large-load LG washer/dryer and a small-load Miele washer/dryer, an extra-large stainless-steel utility sink with professional spray faucet and a towel warmer for delicate items and clothing care. The home also features a Mitsubishi concealed central air system, Nest-controlled steam heat, Nest smoke and carbon monoxide detection, Lutron-controlled lighting, Dinesen solid European oak floors throughout dry areas, custom 8-foot-tall, 2-inch-thick oak doors and E.R. Butler & Co. Empire hardware throughout.

Seriously worth every penny of the nearly $9 million asking price.

As always click to emBIGGERate …

The Spaces


32 comments:

  1. OMG nine million dollars!
    But it’s absolutely fantastic. Seriously, the details. The skylights, the kitchen.
    And in NY? Where do I get a loan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm gonna get the "it's too much wood," but it's not.
      I love everything about this and am right now looking under couch cushions for the 9 mil.
      xoxo

      Delete
    2. There can never be too much wood...of any kind!

      Delete
  2. It's very....brown. Love the skylights, though. That bath is clever with the signage. And give me that kitchen all day long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind all the wood because some is rustic, some is ornate, and some is plain.

      Delete
  3. Fancy industrial style. Very unique. I wonder about the skylight over the bed - can I have a shade for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fancy Industrial!!! That's it/ And I believe there are blackout shades for every skylight.

      Delete
  4. What an incredible building and the history of it is very interesting. I appreciate the decor as well, though I couldn't live in a large city...too many people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could live in a large city because most are comprised of small neighborhoods that make up the city.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12:52 PM

    the dog's mother
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd need to find a very rich sugar daddy and at my age, the sugar daddys are getting rather old. A couple of challenges, the kitchen is small, and with desks where the dinning space would be, most likely the current owner does not love to cook. I could live with it, but. And the elevator comes into the master bedroom. I would want to see if there was some way of reconfiguring that aspect. Maybe move the kitchen to the back of the space, and bedroom into the middle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a winning Lotto ticket!
      I don't mind the kitchen because it's so open and I love the dining space by the huge front windows for the light and the view!!

      Delete
  7. Okay, I'll say it, too much wood! It would be like living in a well decked out box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This decked out box is screaming to me, or am I screaming to it???

      Delete
  8. Usually don't like this much wood but this is perfect. This building is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wood is different from floors to walls to ceilings so it works!

      Delete
  9. I’ve always adored New York architecture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, and I love this piece of history.

      Delete
  10. It's too dark and industrial for my liking, but I can see how this ginormous man-cave would appeal to male buyers. If the top floor loft is $9 million, the other four below it must be in a similar price bracket -- yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all the skylights will change the darkness, but I also like that it can be moody at night.
      And in New York $9M isn't so bad because this is a huge luxurious space.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous5:10 PM

    I find myself wondering what an UNsafe cure is. Yes, I'm that weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And NOW you have me wondering, too!!

      Delete
  12. When I was in my teens and 20s, this would have been my fantasy home in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well past my teens and twenties it's still a dream for me!

      Delete
  13. The location is brilliant if you like city living, and I do, but it has such a heavy feel to it, although I like the simple layout as drawn, which doesn't look so simple in photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rustic, industrial and I love that and all the skylights and all the unique touches.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful. I love it. Now I need to find someone to pay for it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  15. YES YES YES!!!!!! I 'll take it as is along with the furniture. I love it all. With the brick walls and all the wood it adds warmth and texture that I love, and it's also a great example of a neutral interior, with color in accent pieces! The first four pictures of that living room with wall unit and fireplace is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100%. That living room; everything from the walls to that fabulous skylight and then the bank of windows facing the street? Sold!

      Delete
  16. I love the exterior of the building and the loft is very impressive. I like it a lot apart from the exposed brick walls, are they sealed? but can't see myself living there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could live there in a heartbeat.

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......