Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2026

Why Is It ...

… that after I told a co-worker I could tell he was a C-section baby by the way he avoids labor that HR is once again asking to see me.

… that people don’t realize that as you get older you need to care less about how you look in photos and more about how you look in x-rays, scans and test result.

… that from now on I will identify as a rubber band, stretched to my limit, holding everything together but ready to snap

… that we have to pay for trash bags just to throw them out with the trash

… that one of my new favorite games is “Did I take Ibuprofen thirty minutes ago or did I just think about taking it?”

… that kids today cannot write a paper for school without resorting to AI when I was able to write ten pages for school with ever having read the book

… that people wait until New Years Day to cut people out of their lives … I’m like, Happy August 22nd, now get the fuck out!

… that when my therapist asked if my fifteen-year-old self would be proud of me today, I said, “My fifteen-year-old self would be stunned that I’m still alive!”

… that when someone asked if I had a favorite bird I instantly replied Rotisserie Chicken at CostCo

… that when I said, “Maybe I’m just too demanding? Maybe I’m just like my father, too bold? Maybe I’m just like my mother, she’s never satisf—” My therapist shrieked, “Get out.”

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:33 AM

    the dog's mother
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just telling a friend yesterday that I could write a good essay on the Cliff Notes of a book because I was a good writer who could BS! Got me through college. Shame on me, though. I was too busy having fun instead of studying. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda did the same thing too! Lucked out many times.

      Delete
  3. Elastic band I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am often ready to snap!!!

      Delete
  4. We need to change the questions that students are writing on. Tell me about a time when something like this happened to you? How are you going to use this in your life this week? How does this make you feel when you read ____? What do you think was Bob's mood when he wrote that? Questions that AI can't answer. Some law school professors have started giving oral exams, sit in their office for 30 minutes and answer questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one about my mood? I don't think there's an answer ...

      Delete
    2. When I received my degrees' back in the day it was all about critical thinking.

      I remember one class we had to read a book called Hard Ball-Chris Matthews. It was part of our final. The final was an oral exam. Yes!! I have never heard of it. We meet with the teacher for about 30 minutes and the teacher would ask us questions that made us think. How would we incorporate what we have learned to answer the question. You could not bullshit your way through. I did great. One of the best classes I had.

      Delete
  5. Is there any significance in the twenty one question marks at the top? Why not twenty or twenty four? Now don't get mad at me - I'm only asking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is a significance.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Lots of us snapping because we're tired from holding everything together.

      Delete
  7. I hesitate to think of an interview with my 15 year old self. It reminds me of the Joan Didion passage:

    “...I think we are well-advised to keep on nodding terms with the people we used to be, whether we find them attractive company or not. Otherwise they turn up unannounced and surprise us, come hammering on the mind's door at 4 a.m. of a bad night and demand to know who deserted them, who betrayed them, who is going to make amends. We forget all too soon the things we thought we could never forget. We forget the loves and the betrayals alike, forget what we whispered and what we screamed, forget who we were.”

    I do not want to encounter my 15 year old self in the middle of a bad night.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you; that sounds terrifying!

      Delete
  8. My fifteen-year-old self was stunned that I made it to fifteen alive!
    I'm going to be singing When Doves Cry all day now. I should make for an interesting wine tasting trip today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wine and Prince? Sounds like a great combination!

      Delete
  9. I identify as a postmenopausal woman and my pronouns are Try/Me. Yup, I'm out of estrogen and out of fucks to give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have those same pronouns!!!!

      Delete
  10. Rotisserie Chicken is one of my favourite birds too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My 15 year old self would be horrified to see me now...fat, wrinkled, and ancient. And I'd tell that little so and so, I earned everyone of the pounds, wrinkles and years.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......